Heredity Of Ls

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

Poor Roo has just been diagnosed with LS. :sad1

I was wondering if there is any hereditary factor? Ruler is going on five and a half and is Roo's son. I'm just wondering if there is something I should be watching for, or doing now?

Edited by GiJenn51

:dunno:bighug I don't know, I've been wondering the same thing about Beau now that his Momma was just diagnosed with cancer.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest caiteag

I don't know if it is hereditary, Jenn... as for things to watch for... that isn't easy, because LS comes on slowly... according to the reading I have done, they believe LS can start as early as 5 - 6 years old.. but because the symptoms are so subtle, most dogs don't get diagnosed for years after that... watch for Ruler becoming more clumsy in his back end as he ages... watch to see if his gait changes...

As for things you can do... make sure he is getting regular exercise... the more muscle you maintain through his life, the better... also, make sure his weight stays steady and healthy... you don't want to put any excess stress on his spine... certainly glucosamine can't hurt and Quinn's vet had him on omega 3 supplements as well.

Guest GiJenn51

Thanks CL! He is still pretty stacked for a retired boy. He zooms as much as he can and I plan on taking him to the farm to exercise in the long runs too.

Guest caiteag
Thanks CL! He is still pretty stacked for a retired boy. He zooms as much as he can and I plan on taking him to the farm to exercise in the long runs too.

No problem. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Chancy had LS. I can't say how early it started being apparent, because I adopted her as a bounce at 10 years old, and she already had clear symptoms: scuffing of back feet when she walked, rear leg weakness, inability to support weight if one back leg is lifted, sinking of rear end when hands were run even gently along her lower spine, slightly awkward stance as if she was not quite aware of where her back feet were...

I started her right away on Glucosamine and fish oil, and it helped quite a bit. Later I added MSM. Can't say if that helped much as that was near the end.

As a standard practice I give all my pups fish oil and glucosamine. I think Tipper is just starting to show very slight signs of LS. :(

For Chancy, my vet suggested regular light exercise. Brisk daily walks are perfect. Especially on slightly uneven ground (grass/snow instead of pavement) as it helped focus her on where she was putting her feet. All-out running was not recommended, as a spinal injury could be more likely, since the nerves weren't firing quite correctly.

Also, when Chancy had flare-ups of back pain (as evidenced by yelping when she'd try to lay down or stand up, restlessness and inability to get comfortable) she received acupuncture treatments and pain meds. Usually the flare-ups receded within a couple of days. I tried six months of chiropractic treatments for her, but I felt that didn't help her at all.

Interestingly, I've read that Laryngeal Paralysis is not an uncommon "companion ailment" to Lumbosacral Stenosis. Chancy had both, which supports that theory.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.