Anybody Have Experience With Bursitis In A Grey?

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest SillyIzzysMom

On Wednesday I'll be driving to Dallas to pick up a sweet 6 year old boy that we will be fostering-with-intent. He's a bounce and he's been waiting awhile for a home. He's on thyroid meds and has recently been diagnosed by his vet with bursitis.

The adoption agency folks are treating it with advil one week, then Rimadyl one week (alternating the two).

I think it's working on his limp, but 6 years old seems pretty young to be on these forever. we have a 10 year old Golden on Rimadyl for hip dysplasia and evan that worries me and she's quite a bit older.

So, other than glucosamine (which we will give him, of course) is there anything else anybody knows about that can help control bursitis other than continual use of non-steriodal anti-inflammatory meds? I really like my vet, but he kind of poo-poohed my concerns about my Golden being on Rimadyl long term. . .so I'm betting he'll just suggest leaving this boy on them as well. Obviously I understand that my Golden really needs these meds, and an improved quality of life is important. I want this new boy to be happy and pain free as well, but i also don't want to damage his kidneys.

So any bursitis wisdom in the house?

Melissa

PS I promise I'll post photos in the Everything Else forum later in the week :)

Gracie (85 y.o.) was diagnosed with bursitis in her shoulder. You can actually see the little flecks of calcium from the stress (like how a heel spur forms in humans) on her xrays.

Her limp is intermittent and she gets Tramadol as needed (via a prescription at Target).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png