Cole's Thyroid Saga Continues

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

Cole came to us on a high dose of Soloxine daily. He panted like crazy, was twitchy and 10 lbs underweight. Our vet said he was hyperthyroid because he was on too much Soloxine. We lowered the dose, no change, we lowered the dose again, no change. The vet had us take him off the Soloxine all the way.

He gained 20lbs in 2-3 months!! Now he is fat. I spent all day at our group's picnic with people telling me he was fat and asking what he was mixed with. He's full greyhound, he's just fat and fluffy. He has a thyroid problem, we are working on it with our vet, I could do without the criticism.

His tests have been all over the place during this whole time so the vet has decided to treat symptomatically instead of based on the test results. We are putting him back on a low dose of Soloxine to see if that helps. I just want to get him on the right dose. I know all this weight fluctuation can't be good for an old guy.

I feel like we brought this dog into our home, tried to do what was best for him and instead just messed everything up. I keep thinking he would have been better off somewhere else. We've only had him since February and he's been both under and over weight. I feel like the worst mom in the world. :(

His tests have been all over the place during this whole time

Did he have a full thyroid panel from MSU while he was off the soloxine?

If your vet is judging by T4, that can vary from hour to hour and day to day.

Somebody else will wander by soon, I hope, with experience on what the testing protocol is for a dog who is on soloxine -- what time after the dose to do the test -- and what the reading should be at an appropriate dosage.

Hugs and best luck for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LokisMom

He's not had one from MSU although he has not started the Soloxine again and has been off it for months so we could probably have one run before we put him back on the meds.

He did have something more than a T4 this last time although I cannot remember for the life of me what the vet called it.

Quite a few people are going through the same thing, and I swear sometimes I don't think it's a science at all. I was lucky with Misty and got her stable fairly quickly. I don't remember the actual counts but I think Patricia knows much more than I do. I just know that the timing of the test is very important, and the post pill test should be 5 hours after pill. And as for people telling you he's fat? Well, I doubt I have to suggest what to say to them!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless