Skin Remedies

msjpk

Plummer, my new foster, has some issues with his paws.

His nails were about 2 inches long when I got him but we worked on that but he either has caught his nail previously or has some kind of skin condition.

He was at the vet on Saturday and without a biopsy this chronic problem since 2005 has yet been diagnosed.

He has also had a toe amputation. He passed history is very sketchy.

However, I managed to get his passed records faxed to my vet and hopefully a biopsy of his toe that was amputated in 2005 will shine some light.

2 paws are red and scabby, he was licking but that has stopped. I have soaked them in Epson salt and have been putting neosporan with vet wrap and it has improved.

Time is your best friend. Soak in Epsom salts if you feel like you must do something, but don't wrap the feet. Skip the Neosporin, too. For some wierd reason, it tastes great to dogs, and they just lick it off. Speaking of licking, if you do soak with epsom salts, rinse the feet well afterwards. Epsom salts are a great laxative, and, well, you get the idea of what happens if they lick their feet and you haven't rinsed.

Lynn

Do you live near the ocean? If so, a dip in the salt water does wonders for itchy irritated skin. My Annie and Hope both have allergy skin. Annie gets a rash from just one flea and from just washed bedding. We took her to the beach and really got her soaked, and her skin is just starting to look irritated again. Her fur even looked moth eaten in places, and her coat is beautiful now. Hope stopped scratching after just one visit to the ocean. It is time to take them back, but it's free, they love it, and we're fortunate enough to live about 30 minutes from a pet friendly beach.