Discoid Lupus And Painful Nose

My little IG has discoid lupus. His nose looks pretty good now; only two small areas on each nostril. The vet said if we can get those under control he can stop the doxy. He takes vitamin E and salmon oil and is now on grain free food. I use sunscreen. The vet also recommended rubbing vitamin E directly on his nose. when it gets bad, I put protopic cream on it.

this is my question: his nose is always painful. if we are playing and accidently bump into his nose, he screams. then the nose bleeds (from the inside) but only for a short time.

My vet said this is normal with lupus. I am just wondering if other lupus owners have this experience.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul's nose is painful too when he has flare up (crusty nose). He's not very vocal about it though. Here is Soul's protocal:

~grain free kibble and treats

~800mg vit E/day

~500mg niacimide/day

~3 pumps grizzly salmon oil/day

~Sunscreen on his nose anytime we are outside

~Limited time out side between 10am and 4pm

He's been on this regime for about a year.

No crusty nose since May :yay

Oh, and Soul has never been on prescription medications for his DL. The vet and I decided to try controlling it through supplements and sunscreen first.

Edited by SoulsMom

Flex has been crusty lately. and I have to admit, I have been a little lax with the sunscreen...my fault.

Soul's nose is painful too when he has flare up (crusty nose). He's not very vocal about it though. Here is Soul's protocal:

~grain free kibble and treats

~800mg vit E/day

~500mg niacimide/day

~3 pumps grizzly salmon oil/day

~Sunscreen on his nose anytime we are outside

~Limited time out side between 10am and 4pm

He's been on this regime for about a year.

No crusty nose since May :yay

Oh, and Soul has never been on prescription medications for his DL. The vet and I decided to try controlling it through supplements and sunscreen first.