Do Greyhounds Get Reflux?

Guest Chaser

I hate to be the overly panicky greyhound mom who calls the vet every time her fur babies hiccup, but I am really starting to worry about my boy, Chase. At random times of the day and night he will suddenly make a gagging noise like he's about to throw up, but then swallows and licks his lips like he just swallowed whatever was coming up. :sick

Sometimes he'll throw up a bit of clear stomach juice, but nothing else. He doesn't act like anything is wrong and he is eating and drinking normally. Has anyone ever had any experience with any thing like this? Is this something that I should worry about?

Guest DreamsMom
I hate to be the overly panicky greyhound mom who calls the vet every time her fur babies hiccup, but I am really starting to worry about my boy, Chase. At random times of the day and night he will suddenly make a gagging noise like he's about to throw up, but then swallows and licks his lips like he just swallowed whatever was coming up. :sick

Sometimes he'll throw up a bit of clear stomach juice, but nothing else. He doesn't act like anything is wrong and he is eating and drinking normally. Has anyone ever had any experience with any thing like this? Is this something that I should worry about?

Yup, they can. I give mine a Tums.

You can also use Percid or Tagamet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest DreamsMom

Wow! I was just asking myself this question today! Dream occasionally coughs at random times throughout the day and night and acts as if she is going to throw up. I usally massage her throat as if I was giving a pill and she stops. If I don't massage her throat, sometimes she will throw up a little digested food. I don't believe it has anything to do with the timing of her eating because it is usually hours afterward. I think it also happens more frequently when she is lying completely flat on her side or on her back....meaning her head is lower than her chest. I have reflux myself and was wondering the same thing. I hope someone can give us an answer!

Sometimes they will do that if it's been a long time between meals. You can give them a cookie or something like that for a snack and it should take care of the problem. You can also try giving them Pepcid with their meals and it helps quite a bit.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest HeatherDemps

My iggy has acid reflux and gets 1/2 a pepcid AC every morning. If we don't stick to his normal feeding time, he does exactly what you are describing- although most of the time it ends up with him under my bed urping on the carpet. Ick....

Guest RocketDog

Cassie does this every once in a while, out of the blue. Since it's pretty infrequent, I never really thought much of it. It sure does sound freaky when it happens, though!

Alan does that at least twice a day and he gets pepcid twice a day and tums added into his food. In his case, it may be the kidney disease causing the acid. But he's fine after that "gak".

Thanks so much for the responses! It is so reassuring to hear that other dogs have this too! So, for those of you who mentioned dogs on pepcid or tums, did your vet tell you how much to give? Do you give it every day with food or just if your grey is yaking?

Dancer did this so often when we first got her that her nickname was The Puke Hound. :lol :lol I asked my old time Vet about it and he said to give her a Tums. He also said to raise her feed bowl and see if it stops. Well the Tums worked, but shortly after we got Dylan and we also got raised feeder/water bowls. Dancer stopped the puking most of the time. Sometimes she would tank up on water when she came in from a potty and still do the burp/puke thing, but if we slowed down her drinking she wouldn't do it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****