Please Help Me Not To Worry Too Much!

Guest taylorsmom

GOOD news! Ok little Missy....no more licking delight ok sweetie? :P

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Good to hear it's an easily solveable problem, hopefully Rita will be back to her usual self soon.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest taylorsmom
GOOD news! Ok little Missy....no more licking delight ok sweetie? :P

I know!! Silly girl. :blush

Actually, this brings up an issue with Rita that I had kind of put on the back burner in the past, but I think I need to revisit. She has that extra fold of skin over her vulva that can cause things to get kind of irritated down there. A past vet recommended vulvoplasty (I think that is what it was called) to excise the extra skin but I decided to hold off on that and see if I could keep it clean and uninfected. If this is going to cause problems in other areas, though, perhaps I need to rethink the idea of surgery, I don't know. From what I have heard (on GT and elsewhere), the aftermath of the surgery can be very painful, but is usually very effective in clearing up the infections etc. that they can be prone to. Unfortunately, Rita is licking because she is irritated there again--I have not been as rigorous as I should have been in cleaning her up there, which I will now get on top of again.

Edited by taylorsmom

My Misty has the same problem and should be having the surgery. I've read several post here from people who had it done and are very happy with the results. We're not doing it because my vet feels that if we can't be sure that Misty will not be able to lick the area after surgery, he won't do it.Cleaning the area every time she pees is very important. If not bacteria will form and the constant licking can cause UTI's. Plus the area gets very irritated and hurts them. I try to keep Desitin creamy on Misty because that really helps. Hopefully people who have experience with the surgery will chime in here.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest taylorsmom
My Misty has the same problem and should be having the surgery. I've read several post here from people who had it done and are very happy with the results. We're not doing it because my vet feels that if we can't be sure that Misty will not be able to lick the area after surgery, he won't do it.Cleaning the area every time she pees is very important. If not bacteria will form and the constant licking can cause UTI's. Plus the area gets very irritated and hurts them. I try to keep Desitin creamy on Misty because that really helps. Hopefully people who have experience with the surgery will chime in here.

Desitin--that's a great idea!! Doesn't Misty lick that, though??

My girl had the same problem when I got her. A ruptured salivary mucoseal ( Spelling??). They started by aspirating it but that didnt work so they had to do surgery to remove it. She was fine and never had any problems.

Desitin--that's a great idea!! Doesn't Misty lick that, though??

First chance she gets :lol I like the creamy because those of you who have used it with babies, know how tough it is to come off

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless