Supplements?

Eden has never (in 2 years) had a good poop. I think a handful of times she's had one that managed to hold it's shape but just barely. I took her to the vet yesterday for having dark bloody diarrhea and they kept her overnight and ran a bunch of tests and have her some fluid. I called at lunch and everything came back ok so that's nice. I guess my mission now is to try and get some hard poop!!! :lol

I am going to change her food to something that is chicken or pork based because I just figured out that red meats were a no. At lunch I went to a health food store and picked up some probiotics and some sweet potato puree (but I'm sure I'll start just making my own) for her food. Is there anything else natural that might help her poop and any other positive side effects would be a bonus :P

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Guest BlackandBrindle

What food is she on now?

Personally I feel that if the food she's on is not producing good poops than she needs a different food not supplements.

So before you start adding supplements (but I don't include probiotics because they are good stuff) I'd go with a food change.

Has she been treated for worms? I'd do that too, even if the fecal results were negative.

Good luck!

Yugurt may work well, because it has probiotics. However, some dogs are lactose intolerant, so yogurt would then make your problems worse.

You can seek out a probiotic pill that has the same bacteria in it (human pills work fine!).

You can also try canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling). Try adding about a tablespoon's worth, then go from there.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

If changes in food don't do it (suspect corn and wheat as ingredients), try a meal or two of raw food- just a couple of chicken drumsticks for dinner one day, and maybe some beef or lamb for breakfast the next. See how well that improves things.

If you don't want to go that route, then add 1-2 tablespoons of chunk beet pulp (from any store that sells horse supplies) per meal. You may need to fold them in with some peanut butter to make them more palatable.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

We use Kirkland right now - the purple bag (I'm not sure what flavor it is). Beneful was AWFUL and Iams gave her gas. I'm afraid I'm going to make her a finiky eater if I keep changing her food. She has a SUPER loud tummy, too. I wonder what causes that?

The other issue I have is that both girls eat the same thing. If I change Eden's food or give her a little extra something (pumpkin or yogurt) then I feel bad that Moose isn't getting any... and she really can't have anything extra because she needs to trim up a bit :blush (non-grey) That I guess I'll have to suck up and get over.

Blackandbrindle - I just figured from all the reading on this board that soft poo wasn't as easily fixed as a food change. It seems like people with pups who have hard poo is a rarity :P What kinds of ingredients should I look for.

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well if it's been that long with no hard poop, I'd say your most likely culprits are

1. Parasites

2. Food allergy

Of course there are a million and a half things that can cause soft poop, but those seem to be the most common.

Go for a food that has the least amount of ingredients possible.

Stay away from ingredients that you can't pronounce and that you know cause issues.

Stay away from food that list corn or wheat as they are big allergens for a lot of dogs.

Foods I'd try are Eagle Pack, Diamond Select (or is it Naturals?) Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Wellness.....

Having said all that, I switched to raw because Spud was not doing well on kibble. WE haven't had problems since.

Sadie came to me on Eagle Pack and had really good poops (but they were big and plentiful).

Manlow the foster came to us on the old version of Canidae and seemed to be doing well on it but Canidae recently switched their formula.

Evo and Innova are good foods, but they are expensive and very rich so some dogs don't do well on them.

Try grain free if possible (it it works into your budget).

Good luck!