New Puppy With Fleas

Guest greys4me

Guest greys4me

Yesterday I got a new puppy,not a greyhound, and he has been kept outside all his life. :angry: The end result is that he is completely eaten up with fleas. When I went to get a flea shampoo they almost all say not to use them on a puppy younger than 12 weeks and Little Dan is only 10 weeks old. I'm going to try and get him into the vet when I get off of work tomorrow, since he hasn't had any of his first shots or anything, but I was wondering if anybody could tell me about something that I could use on him that won't hurt him.

Guest heidihvt

Pick up a product called Capstar, made by Novartis (they make Sentinel and Interceptor, etc). It's a tablet that is given. The fleas start dying in 30 minutes and within 4 hours all fleas are off the pet. It's an awesome product we sell at our animal hospital. You then follow up with a flea product like Advantage. I usually wouldn't recommend this, as I only recommend purchasing flea/heart worm products through the vet, but given it's the weekend I'd check out your local pet store for Capstar. It's an OTC product. Hope this helps!

Capstar really does kill fleas within 30 minutes. I believe there are two sized doses, under 25 lbs. and over 25 lbs. Check the packaging label regarding age of dog/puppy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Advantage is safe for neonates and infants, even though it's not labelled as such. Vets often recommend that if the dam has fleas that she be treated with Advantage and the pups each receive a drop or two once they're dried off.

Lynn