Researching To (hopefully) Adopt A Grey!

Guest carmasims

Guest carmasims

hello all!

i'm from london ontario, and i've been doing some research for the past year or so on adopting a retired grey... i'm looking for advice on where to begin!

we have 2 young girls in the family, 1 who has allergy induced asthma reactions to dog dander- not sure if she's grown out of it yet or not, as it's been about 2.5-3 yrs since she's been around one!!

we obviously need to see if she has a reaction or not, but i don't want to bring them to a kennel and have them get excited if she does...

any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!!

assuming all goes well on that front- what should we be expecting in regards to the adoption process?

thanks, all!

I would suggest you get in touch with the local chapter for Greyhound rescue and see whether you can visit them or they you with one of their dogs (I will assume they have their own Greys not adoptees). This way you might be able to determine if your daughter is still allergic or not, no guarantees. I don't know a lot about that type of allergy so can't give advice. Depending on the chapter, adoption usually is a 2-3 week process as these are all volunteers and have regular lives as well so the time to compelte the adoption papers, review them, interview, etc. takes time. You would have to be very specific about the personality of Grey you are seeking because not all are good with small children just like any other breed. Perhaps a senior would be best because they are generally relaxed, house trained and a so sweet.

Hope everything works out.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

GRACanada is just a short drive from London. They have about 35 available hounds right now looking for homes of their very own.

Both hubby and I are allergic to dogs and cats (and many other things), but neither of us have issues with greyhounds.

If you check out our forum, we have monthly walks at various places in the city and we welcome anyone to join us and meet the dogs :) Our next walk will be at Springbank Park (North Street Entrance) on August 9th at 7 p.m.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest OMGiluvgreys

You need to goto someones home that has only a Grey. I have had adoptors come to my home because they have allergies. My wife is allergic to everything so there would be nothing but the Greys.

You need to goto someones home that has only a Grey. I have had adoptors come to my home because they have allergies. My wife is allergic to everything so there would be nothing but the Greys.

Yep. And invest in a HEPA filter! My life saver. :D Good luck. Test it all out!

Allergies change every 7 years. You may be in luck....

The Girls

Guest carmasims

thanks for the heads up about the springbank park walk on the 9th, jiffer! we'll be there! :)

i have hope on the allergy thing- she used to get all hive-y and snuffle-y with cats as well, but seems to have grown out of THAT one...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carmasims
thanks for the heads up about the springbank park walk on the 9th, jiffer! we'll be there! :)

i have hope on the allergy thing- she used to get all hive-y and snuffle-y with cats as well, but seems to have grown out of THAT one...

so..... didn't make it out last night- i wasn't sure if it was even happening with the weather the way it was, but.....

FANTASTIC news!!!! my older daughter who has the allergies was (apparently) around 3 thick coated dogs last weekend when her grandpa took her to a step family gathering- playing with them, walking them, etc. for 5/6 hrs and- NO REACTION!!!! :D

she then met my mom's new black lab during the week, and again- no reaction!!!

i am sooooooo excited!!!! we've made an app't to see bill and the greys at gra canada on sat aug 16th in the morning, and we're so pumped, we've started buying beds/toys, etc.

YAY!!

so- question, and more advice needed: where do we find warm winter coats suitable for canadian weather? and muzzles? which kind is best? i've never had to use them before, so i want to make sure we're using the right one.

thanks!! :offwall

Guest houndstooth4

I think everyone has their own preferences for coats and such. Most adoption agencies give you a muzzle. We use the hard plastic ones, but we rarely have to use them. There are lots of great vendors in the merchandise section.

Congratulations on being able to start your search!