Leg Or Shoulder Pain

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

The last 2 days, Spinner the Terrible has been acting like Spinner the Subdued. He yelps 2-3 times a night when shifting position or trying to get up and several times a day when he moves wrong. He's walking normally sometimes and very, very slowly other times. I thought we'd wait a few days and see if he "just" pulled something (our boy can be pretty wild, so I've been surprised he hasn't before now--we got him last September). But now his hesitation to go up and down stairs has turned to waiting for me to carry him (Am I just an enabler?). He is not lunging and snapping and growling and getting revved up and spinning around on our bed because he's decided he wants wild time or a walk. it's becoming clearer that the pain I knew was on his front end somewhere, maybe neck, is somehow related to his left leg. He seems so subdued I'm getting really worried.

How do I know when to take him in? I'd rather try him on a run of pain meds than jump right into xrays. Does that sound reasonable?

Edited by SusanP

Guest koolaidnconner

I would take him to the vets right away. I have that with Conner when he is in pain. He has IBD and when we take him off pain meds he is very subdoed and crys in pain. He did have a neck injury a month or so ago and was on morphin for it, he was in that much pain.

Guest BlackandBrindle

If it's been two days already with no improvement, I'd take him into the vet.

Hope he feels better soon! Our rule is if three days go by without any marked improvement, they go to the vet.

Guest greytexplorer

I don't want to be in pain.

I don't want my furbabies to be in pain, either.

Because they can't advocate for themselves, and can't tell me what's wrong, I have to take them to the vet for Dx.

I usually don't wait very long to go to the vet, either.

Please keep us posted!

hugs,

~Pat

Mayhem has pulled something in his neck a few times now. Each time it goes away within about 3 days with a little rest. Try handing him a treat in a way that would require him to bend his neck down - if he yelps or is hesitant to do it then that's likely the cause. Mayhem was also reluctant to do stairs, I think because they normally bend their neck to look up/down as they go? Same with getting up and lying down. The last time we gave him some aspirin for the pain also, but I think his favourite thing was to have one of us sitting beside him and petting him. :)

But I would say that if after 3 days there hasn't been any improvement, I'd go to the vet.

Edited by Ola

Guest SusanP

OK, he has a vet appt at 8:30 tomorrow morning, and they said to fast him for xrays. Poor little Spinner. He just isn't *jolly* anymore!

Guest becca97

I'd vet after one to two day/s with no improvment, better safe than sorry, this week my old collie was off her food, in pain and we took her practically straight away, turned out to be a serious infection that because of her age needed treating immediatly with meds. Because we caught it quickly it is pretty much cleared up in a matter of days.

good luck

beccaxx

Hope he feels better soon! Our rule is if three days go by without any marked improvement, they go to the vet.

Totally agree.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Same rule here. If they are crying in pain, I may not wait 3 days.

The Girls

Guest ctgreylover

Tony has had this happen to him 3 times now. He pulls a neck muscle. The first time it happened was after just having him 2 months. I thought he was dying and rushed him to the er vet. He was put on prednisone. it helped. we saw his regular vet a few times until he was better. The 2nd time I was given pain killer and muscle relaxers. 3rd time we discovered the muscle relaxer works best. I also put a heating pad on low on him, ok by the vet, for a few minutes. It took a week to be fully over it. I purchased a harness as well so that when his neck hurts, I dont have to put his leash on a collar. The vet will be able to asses best.

Guest SusanP

Well, the night before the xray, he didn't cry out all night long, and in the morning he was back to his spunky self, so I cancelled the appt, and he's been fine, since, though now he sometimes waits at the bottom of the stairs to see if we'll still offer him a free ride up!

So we have a happy ending. He must have just pulled something.

Glad it's resolved!

If it happens again, see if he can lift his head. One of our dogs had a recurring neck problem that only showed itself when we lifted her head to put on a muzzle. She'd scream when we did that! Short courses of pred helped calm down the inflammation in the neck when it recurred. None of the NSAIDS worked for that.

Marcia