Hello From Arizona!

Guest undergunfire

Guest undergunfire

Hello!

My name is Amy and I am from Prescott, Arizona. I am originally from Upstate New York. I have a fiance named Ryan. We currently have 3 indoor neutered male rabbits, 3 pet rats that live in a Ferret Nation 141, 2 adopted kitties, and a 8.5 year old special needs foster bunny. I had a Beagle, but my "Willie" passed away 3 years ago from Lime Disease, just before moving to Arizona.

I am very interested in adopting or fostering a Greyhound. My fiance is a little leery because he thinks our house is too small (ehh...3 bedrooms!) and he thinks we have a lot of "kids" as it is, hehe. I keep telling him, though, that I hear Grey's make great apartment dogs and we live in a house, lol!

I just ordered "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies", and the book should be here tomorrow. I am hoping that by reading this book, it will put me more in depth with what Grey's are all about.

We live in a great neighborhood in the tall pines and I would really love a walking buddy. We also live in a town where we have a great area downtown on the court house square, with lots of grass...where every one walks their dogs. We do not have a fenced in yard, so I am hoping this will not stop us from being able to adopt/foster a Grey. I am also looking into taking dog obedience courses online through an online college, and having a dog would really help with my career.

I look forward to meeting a bunch of Grey lovers!

- Amy :)

Guest AaronsMom

Welcome from Delaware! We love Arizona....

We have probably the same size or smaller house when you consider our boy Aaron doesn't do the steps to get upstairs - our bedroom is on the first floor. He can do any steps with carpet, but not the hardwood! We don't have a fenced in yard, so I walk him. He takes up very little room really, he's one of those rare greyhounds that never has wanted to get on the furniture or bed! As long as he has somewhere comfy to sleep near me, he is happy! They are soooo easy. We just adopted in March, have had quite a few other breeds throughout the years, he is the best dog we've ever dreamed of being mommy & daddy to. Good luck!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi Amy and welcome from Scottsdale, AZ. Greyhounds make wonderful pets and you can find some with no prey drive which is what you will need. I believer there is an adoption group either in Prescott or Payson but if not, there are several in the Phoenix area. This is a great forum to learn all about Greyhounds!

Hi and Welcome! My aunt live in Mesa. I'm not sure Prescot in relation to Mesa though.

I'm sure there are several groups in your area. You can also can go on the Greyhound Pets of America national website www.greyhoundpets.org or try greyhoundgang.org. those are both good places to start looking for a group in your area.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest undergunfire

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :colgate!

Spencers....it is awesome to meet some so close on a forum. I am apart of bunny and rat forums, and most of the time everyone seems to be from the midwest.

Yes, we definitely will need a Grey with no/low prey drive. The bunnies and rats have their own bedroom. I can put up a large baby gate or if need be (but hopefully not)...keep their bedroom door closed. Regardless...they have strong cages, but I still wouldn't want a Grey to terrorize them.

My only worry about adopting/foster is...we work a lot. Ryan and I both work about 8-9 hours per day, so we are gone for 9-10 hours a day...Mon - Fri, like most households. We have a great neighbor around the corner who might be able to come by once a day to let the Grey outside to go potty. They just lost their dog after 12 years, so I know they are missing a little doggie interaction. However, they are planning to move sometime within the next year...so I can't count on them for too long. Ryan and I are going to find a way for me to work less, though, once I start my online college in the spring.

I have already been looking into rescue groups in AZ. I am so worried about a phone interview and such! I don't want to answer wrong or anything and not be able to ever adopt :unsure.

Guest Leanneby0925
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :colgate!

Spencers....it is awesome to meet some so close on a forum. I am apart of bunny and rat forums, and most of the time everyone seems to be from the midwest.

Yes, we definitely will need a Grey with no/low prey drive. The bunnies and rats have their own bedroom. I can put up a large baby gate or if need be (but hopefully not)...keep their bedroom door closed. Regardless...they have strong cages, but I still wouldn't want a Grey to terrorize them.

My only worry about adopting/foster is...we work a lot. Ryan and I both work about 8-9 hours per day, so we are gone for 9-10 hours a day...Mon - Fri, like most households. We have a great neighbor around the corner who might be able to come by once a day to let the Grey outside to go potty. They just lost their dog after 12 years, so I know they are missing a little doggie interaction. However, they are planning to move sometime within the next year...so I can't count on them for too long. Ryan and I are going to find a way for me to work less, though, once I start my online college in the spring.

I have already been looking into rescue groups in AZ. I am so worried about a phone interview and such! I don't want to answer wrong or anything and not be able to ever adopt :unsure.

Hi and welcome! I just moved to Phoenix from Chicago and my fiance and I just adpoted our first grey, she's amazing. We could not imagine life without her. I would encourage you to learn more and consider it. They are wonderful dogs and once you have one, you will love it!

Guest lionessgrace
:gh_bow Welcome Amy! I'm sure things will go very smoothly in your adoption interview and some lucky dawg will have you for a mom. Looking forward to pix what it all happens. :bighug

Guest IrskasMom

Hello Amy and Ryan ,WELCOME to GT :wave:wave:wave Fabulous ,that you are Interrested in giving a Greyhound a

Forever HOME . Hopefully the Book and our GT Community willl convince you ,that Greys are the sweetest Dogs and

the Owners are most fanatic about them . :blink::blink::blink:

Guest houndlover

Welcome from Mass! Greyhounds really are wonderful pets but certainly are not for everyone. I agree with the others that you should do your research, talk to groups and decide if a grey is really for you. Greys don't need a lot of room so I'm sure that your house is plenty big enough. I have a ranch which is just under 1,000 sq ft and an in law apartment in the basement and my house is big enough for my 3 greys and 3 cats. I generally have at least one foster dog (none at the moment) and several foster cats (I have a mom and 3 kittens right now) and I don't find space to be an issue at all.

Guest undergunfire

Thank you for the warm welcomes, every one! I am online every day on my other forums, but if they aren't "tabbed" in the browser....I forget about them. Unfortunately...Greytalk wasn't tabbed :eek!

I have been reading through my Grey's for Dummies book and it is great. I really think a Grey is for us. I have had people (non-Grey people) tell me that bringing a hound into my house with rabbits is going to mean a death sentence for one of my bunny guys. I do have to say though, a Grey attacking my rabbits is the least of my worries. There are ways to protect my bunnies from a Grey (even if the Grey is low/no prey drive)...having my bunnies in their own bedroom is definitely a plus.

We aren't ready for a Grey just yet. My fiance has been riding on the though of joining the Air Force or Army now, with more leaning towards the Air Force. I have no patience, but I know I need to stay strong before I can get a Grey. We have a lot of thinking to do about the future since we are young (almost 19 & 20)...so I don't want any wrong decisions in getting a Grey (in other words, I don't want to have to rehome a loved pet).

I saw a Grey downtown the other day while Ryan and I were eating dinner. I almost drooled all over my plate :rolleyes:!