I Really Need Some Help

Ok At the present time Asia's lungs are clear but that is only one xray. If I did the amp I am sure they will xray again and many views, right?

Now how many have had the amp and not the chemo? How long did your dog live? that is the way I think I should go.

It is not the amptation I should be worried about. 10 days tops for recouping her. If I spent 10K for chemo and I was guarenteed 5 years I would spend it, but I dont' feel that is is going to help. Will OSU send the free chemo to me here in NY?

If you have not already contacted OSU do so asap.

C. Guillermo Couto, DVM

couto.1@osu.edu or greyosu@osu.edu

614 292-3551

Also here their web site OSU greyhound health

:hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vinnie

We did the amp as Vinnie's lungs were clear - we were in Dr. Cuoto's study and he did send chemo to use for us (and I bless him and OSU every day) and we paid for another chemo that they used in conjuction with his. They check the lungs often and before Vinnie's third chemo I had a feeling that something was not quite right - so I asked to check his lungs before the treatment - which they did - unfortunately his right lung was completely filled and it was in over 1/2 of his left lung - we did not do any chemo after that but instead took the time with our angel to say goodbye. Keep in mind that his osteo was extremely aggressive, our oncologist said it was the most aggressive and in the youngest she had seen. But the silver lining (if you can look at it that way) was that we got 3 months with him that we would not have had and he was not in pain from the cancer. The amp, meds and chemo did what they were supposed to do - gave him quality of life. The amputation is rough for the first two weeks or so, I won't kid you on that - but the freedom from pain was worth it. And he did not miss his leg at all - he ran faster and played harder than ever, even the last weekend with all the horrible disease in his lungs - he just didn't let it slow him down. I think part of that was his puppy energy, but we knew if we waited longer, it would not be that way.

Since Asia's lungs are clear, I would take a look at amp and chemo along with the aretemesin that everyone is talking about as it seems to do wonders. Whatever your decision, know that we are all here for you. Sending hugs and scritches.

Edited by Vinnie

I am so sorry. Sending my prayers and heart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry.

Now how many have had the amp and not the chemo? How long did your dog live? that is the way I think I should go.

I don't have any personal experiences but I can share the story of Elliot, a dog from our group. Elliot was diagnosed with Osteo in February 2007. His front leg was amputated and his owners chose not to do chemo. Elliot lived another 12 months.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest MorganKonaAlex

The median survivial that was quoted to me from an oncologist is:

- 2 months without amputation or chemo

- 5 months with amputation but no chemo

- 12-14 months with amputation and chemo

I've had 2 dogs diagnosed with osteo. Morgan started limping on a Friday night. Sunday morning, his front leg broke coming down the stairs. That was 1/06 and he was 10.5 years old. I was against amputation but he was my husband's dog and he wanted to try it. Morgan was amputated and had 4 rounds of Carboplatin. It was rough the first few weeks, but Morgan is now approaching his 13th birthday. He just had a round of testing for other issues and his chest xrays and ultrasound found no sign of cancer. Morgan's fighting IBD at the moment.

10 months after Morgan's diagnosis, Alex was diagnosed with osteo in his rear leg. Alex was 8. We had his leg amputated and he started chemo. His protocol was alternating Adriamycin and Carboplatin. After the 3rd chemo, he didn't seem himself so I asked for a chest xray and it found lung mets. We only had him a few weeks longer.

You asked about frequency of chest xrays. The oncologists we went to do xrays before starting chemo and somewhere around the middle of the chemo. I think they also do one at the end. Some people come back every 3-6 months for a check. We don't. I'm not going to put him through that when they can't treat it.

I just got an email from Bosha's Mom, he is one of the dog's on HfH's website. He is 33 months clear! I met him last fall at his 2 year mark, he is a remarkable boy.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

thank you for this information, I can only pray that Asia will go a year and more would be a gift from GOD! That is amazing about Morgan! And after the break his lungs were still clear to do the amp? Where was the osteo what leg?

The median survivial that was quoted to me from an oncologist is:

- 2 months without amputation or chemo

- 5 months with amputation but no chemo

- 12-14 months with amputation and chemo

I've had 2 dogs diagnosed with osteo. Morgan started limping on a Friday night. Sunday morning, his front leg broke coming down the stairs. That was 1/06 and he was 10.5 years old. I was against amputation but he was my husband's dog and he wanted to try it. Morgan was amputated and had 4 rounds of Carboplatin. It was rough the first few weeks, but Morgan is now approaching his 13th birthday. He just had a round of testing for other issues and his chest xrays and ultrasound found no sign of cancer. Morgan's fighting IBD at the moment.

10 months after Morgan's diagnosis, Alex was diagnosed with osteo in his rear leg. Alex was 8. We had his leg amputated and he started chemo. His protocol was alternating Adriamycin and Carboplatin. After the 3rd chemo, he didn't seem himself so I asked for a chest xray and it found lung mets. We only had him a few weeks longer.

You asked about frequency of chest xrays. The oncologists we went to do xrays before starting chemo and somewhere around the middle of the chemo. I think they also do one at the end. Some people come back every 3-6 months for a check. We don't. I'm not going to put him through that when they can't treat it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Every dog is dfferent and you just don't know how much time they will have. My Marvin had radiation, amputation and had one more chemo treatment to go when he broke a back leg (on the same side as his amputation) and we had to send him to the bridge. That was 3 1/2 months after his amputation.

I'm am so sorry, it is just an awful situation. Sending prayers and hugs.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS