Tumour Treatment Options

I'm posting on behalf of my friend who is trying to weigh up which course of treatment to take with his grey Ritchie and wondered if anyone has been through similar types of tumour treatment or had to amputate on a senior and how they cope?

Ritchie is nearing 13 but is still very sprightly and keen on scaring the local cat population.

Vet Report - click to enlarge fully

ritchiereport1.jpg

Lymph node shows no sign of cancer

Forgetting option 3 which is a non starter

Option 1 gives him best chance of being cancer free, but he's 13 in 3 months and will his back legs cope if one of front ones are amputated?

Option 2 will remove most of tumour then radiotherapy on the rest. The problem is that the wound may not heal as well and radiotherapy is not always successful on his type of tumour. Basically they could operate and find wound doesn't heal well and radiotherapy doesn't stop it regrowing quickly. We would then be left with the option of amputation or doing nothing.

I would personally opt for removal and talk with Dr Couto about localized chemo treatments. He would know better if this is possible for this kind of tumor. There are many that are spindle cell tumors, Foxy's was one. Her final result is Hemangiopericytoma. We have just experienced re growth after being clear for 4 years. At this point I am leaving it alone as her type is less invasive and has been pain free.

How disabling is the tumor? At his age it is so hard to make a decision. You just don't know what will come next. Ritchie has my prayers.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

It really depends on how active and mobile the dog is. If the dog is really spritely, I think I would consider the amputation, seeing as how they have said the chance of spread is pretty low. But his age. Gawd. That makes it so much harder. How much longer than 13 can the average greyhound go? But when its YOUR dog, you don't care about the average greyhound and statistics of life span mean nothing to you. (I know this is your friends dog - I'm just thinking out loud really).

Maybe option two would be the better option, all things considered.

These decisions are always so hard :(

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!