Radiation Treatment

Guest cork71

Guest cork71

my girlfriend has 2 greyhounds. Kane (4) on the left and Ozzy (8) on the right. sorry, cellphone photo so its not great quality.

In October of 2007 we were at the dog park with the boys and noticed a lump on Ozzy's left rear leg. you may be able to see the lump in the photo. this lump literally popped up while we were at the dog park. we would have certainly noticed this lump when loading the boys into the car when heading to the dog park.

of course we panicked and called the vet. they said if he is not limping and not in pain to bring him in on Monday instead of a weekend ER visit. the lump was soft and did not feel attached, kind of like a soft grape under the skin. that Monday he was at the vet and he aspirated and said it looked ok. just a fatty deposit. he suggested removing it for cosmetic reason later on or if it got bigger and/or harder.

the lump had increased in size very little and it did get slightly harder so we decided to have it removed 2 weeks ago. the surgery went fine and the vet sent the lump out for biopsy. a week later came the phone call from the vet that it was cancerous tumor (HEMANGIOPERICYTOMA). the vet was surprised to find out that it was a cancerous tumor.

he referred us to a radiologist which gave a few options. let it go for now and see when it grows back, chemo or radiation treatments.

the radiation treatment has the best percentage for success rate so that is the direction we are leaning.

this radiation treatment would be 3 1/2 weeks and Ozzy would have to be at the kennel during the week for treatment and we would bring him home on the weekends.

we're curious to know what we are in for here with the radiation treatments. we know it's going to be hard with him not at home during the week, but this seems like the best choice to prevent recurrence. Ozzy is his normal self and in good spirits as usual but we're curious what to expect during this treatment time.

if anyone has experience with this your knowledge of the situation would be greatly appreciated. this way we can be prepared for things as we progress through this.

we will be getting this info to Dr Couto as well.

th_theboys.jpg

My boy had one removed from his right thigh last year. My vet was also surprised that it was cancer. We didn't get clean margins & so consulted with an oncologist & Dr. Couto. Besides radiation (21 treatments) they can reoperate & get larger margins. Because my boy had been having back troubles, I didn't want to slap him on a table 21 times for radiation (& possible sedation depending on calm he would be) or take out a big chunk of his thigh. So I've opted to wait & reoperate if it comes back. Faolin is 11 & the hemaniopericytoma was removed last August. It was about an inch in diameter. So far, so good. (And maybe it's just coincidental, but once it was removed, his back improved. :dunno)

BTW, when the vets talk about radiation for this, they are talking cure. Not something an oncologist can offer very often. Best of luck with Ozzy. It's not as scary as many other cancers are. There is also a newer treatment that involves injecting something (oil of oregano??) into the site. I'm going to search GT to find the particulars.

(They are 2 good looking pups! :wub: )

eta: Foxysmom is who posted about this other treatment:

There is another treatment that can be done after the tumor has been removed. A small amount of chemo drug is mixed with sesame oil and injected into the site while the dog is sedated. Ohio State has had good results with that.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest cork71

vet said radiation had 90% succes rate where chemo was in the 40-60% range.

the chemo option was injections into the area; probably the same as what sweetdogs mentioned.

since the vet that removed the lump did not know it was cancer until after the biopsy, it was doubtful that he got clean margins.

Ozzy is a trooper and very mellow so he may not need to be sedated.

Ozzy is scheduled to start treatment on July 9th and end of treatment on July 25th. no visit when he in in for treatment :weep but at least he'll be home on the weekends :colgate