Slightly Swollen Muzzle

I don't think someone who didn't know him as well as I do would even have noticed right away, but one side of Rhemus's nose is definitely swollen.

I did a search here on GT and see that it's most likely a tooth abcess, a spider bite, or an allergic rxn to something. I've given him Benadryl, just in case something bit him, and am watching him like a hawk. I've also checked him head to tip of tail and there are no red marks or bites of any kind that I can see (it would be easy to find something, the boy's got practically no hair @ all!). His teeth look as good as they ever do (he's only got about 16 left). I have noticed him rubbing his face into his bed after he eats for the last week or so, so I'm leaning toward a dental problem, even though eveything looks ok.

Calling vet in AM unless things get worse tonight. Need some hand-holding! He's my guy. :beatheart

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Cougar had an abcessed tooth one time. When I noticed it, I thought it was either that or a small tumor growing on his gum. Turned out to be abcessed. The vet pulled it and he has been fine ever since.

Tara Coach and Cougar

Sending my prayers for your little man. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

He's pretty sleepy now with the Benadryl, so I was able to get a really good look in his mouth--after reading Heather's thread, I wanted to make double sure there was nothing going on in there that I didn't see when I looked before. His teeth/gums are not great to begin with, but I don't see anything unusual.

He ate dinner as usual, and the swelling seems unchanged. Thanks for the good thoughts!

Laurie

Sending light and prayers to your little man, and hugs to you. :hope:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Does he like to chew on sticks? I'd check his palate in case something got stuck in his palate.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest houndstooth4

We had a foster once, she'd been caught running loose and it was not the first time, so, long story short, the group picked her up from the people who found her and called them, and she became our foster. That night, I thought her nose looked a little funny, but I'd just gotten her and I couldn't be sure. The next morning, I had a stronger feeling that something wasn't right, and I called the adoption group, although it was still really hard to tell. After work, I came home to get her and I was sure she was not right! Off to the vet we went. It turned out she had an abscess, from being bitten or scratched on the inside of her lip by a small animal. When it drained it was awful, it really looked bad, but it was over pretty quickly, and after some antibiotics, she was as good as new. I think if it is an abscess, hot compresses help. They look bad, but they aren't terribly serious if you get them treated! Hang in there!

Turns out Rhem has an infected tooth root--he's got cephalexin twice a day.

I ended up taking both hounds to the vet due to some serious water consumption and pee accidents.

He did bloodwork and urinalysis on them both. Rose's urine is fluorescent green, no exaggeration. He was like, hmmmm, this ought to be interesting! :blink:

Yeah, that's what you want to hear your vet say!!! :lol

Edited by laurie

Laurie