Proheart 6 Coming Back

Proheart 6 is being reintroduced to the US market after being re-approved by the FDA. This product is unique in that it ensures protection against heartworm infection for 6 months without the need for monthly administration of products.

This product I do think has a place in the US market... but largely only in households where owners simply cannot remember to use monthly products monthly. There are a lot of dogs out there whose owners are able to make a 6 pack of Heartgard last 3 years and "still have a dose left at home". Those dogs would be best suited with Proheart administration as any risk of Proheart would be far outweighed by the risk of heartworm disease.

So here is my $0.02.

Is the release of PH6 in the US a good thing? Yes.

Is PH6 the best product on the market? No.

Is PH6 the right choice for your dog? If you are unable to give monthly products monthly as labeled then PH6 is something you should consider. If you are able to use monthly products monthly then I would recommend continuing to do so.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greybookends

I am so glad to hear this product is coming back! I used it for my gang and was devastated when it was removed from the market. This worked for me on several levels. One I didn't have to remember to give it and 2 it was cheaper. I have 5 hounds and 1 mutt. I can get one or 2 a month inoculated till there all done and then Don't have to worry about it again. The vet lets me know when they are due and purse is not over loaded every month. I would still get them regardless but this option is MUCH easier on my purse. I never had a problem with them and felt if others did then they shouldn't use it but if I'm not having a problem why can't I use it. I will make sure my vet knows that as soon as it is available to let me know.

Guest BigPercyInMa

Percy was on it before and didn't have any problems with it. I'm kinda glad it's coming back. I will still leave my Collie on Revolution though, I think.

So out of curiosity, what is the cost difference between Proheart 6 and Heartguard?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest KennelMom

Not a product we'll use. No problems here taking 5 minutes to heartworm everyone once a month. I can see how it would be beneficial to those who can't remember to dose their dogs though.

Guest greybookends
So out of curiosity, what is the cost difference between Proheart 6 and Heartguard?

I can't remember what the cost difference was but there was a difference.

Guest greyladydown

I've heard some horror stories about PH6. I'd like to know more about why it was taken off the market and what changes they made (if any) to get re-approval.

It was taken off of the market due to a higher than expected number of adverse reactions. The recall was not mandated by the FDA but was voluntary on the part of Fort Dodge.

In a comprehensive review of these "reactions", it was found that a lot of the reports were unfounded. People were blaming PH6 for conditions like lymphoma of the eye which was completely unfounded. No changes were made to the drug as the FDA found that in reviewing the US reports and in reviewing its use internationally that the voluntary recall was unnecessary and it would be released again in the US.

Upon being released, owners will have to sign an informed consent form which just states that the veterinarian has discussed with them any possible side effects from the product. Any veterinarian that wants to use the product will also have to take a seminar on the product which will detail the latest information on the FDAs review of the product.

The idea behind the informed consent form is that Fort Dodge states that the FDA wants to monitor the product closely on reintroduction and this will aid in it as owners will be counselled on what to watch for and who to contact should they note a reaction.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest Ohiogreymom

I know EVERYTHING you read on the internet is NOT true, but if you Google Proheart 6, there's some scary stuff out there, and I read that the vets who get it when it's released will also have to have each owner sign a paper agreeing NOT to hold the makers responsible for whatever happens to your dog. True or not, it's a risk I would not consider taking.

Guest longdogs

We have the 12-month version in Australia and it has been available for at least 6 years. The product was not withdrawn here following the voluntary withdrawal (of the 6-month version) in the US because the evidence didn't warrant it. It is used for many racing greys and by adoption groups. I used it for several years with our greys, on the advice of our adoption group, with absolutely no problems and no apparent reaction to the injection. There are plenty of other choices for clued-up owners. For the dogs belonging to the rest it is a real boon. It isn't cheaper than using a good generic monthly but is otherwise competitively priced.

• 3 weeks later...

A late entry to this thread, but I didn't want to open a new one entirely...

I have a dog that does not like the flavor of Interceptor (the heartworm prevention we use). I have not tried other meds, but we have had whipworms in our yard, so I like the extra protection Interceptor offers.

Anyway, I have wrapped his pills in cheese, but what happens if I find that no longer works, say, months down the line? Are there other options, or should I look into something like Proheart 6?

thanks!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest LynnM

Is there a reason why you can't pry open his pointy little mouth and shove the pill down?

PH6 has probably the LEAST effictiveness against intestinal parasites of any of the commonly available heartworm preventatives.

Revolution offers protection against a few more species of intestinal worms than PH6, but I can't remember if whipworm is among them. It is given topically.

Lynn

Is there a reason why you can't pry open his pointy little mouth and shove the pill down?

PH6 has probably the LEAST effictiveness against intestinal parasites of any of the commonly available heartworm preventatives.

Revolution offers protection against a few more species of intestinal worms than PH6, but I can't remember if whipworm is among them. It is given topically.

Lynn

There is a reason, but I'd rather not get into it here... Long story.

I figured that about PH6, but the whips are probably out of our soil by now. It's been a couple years, and the cycle has not been continued (at least, not once we figured out the problem. It was only with the foster dog, and he was cured). But I figure, better safe than sorry, and I'd rather order the Interceptor, than get the Heartgard from the vet. They understand, of course...

I will continue to wrap the pills in cheese if necessary, and pray that he doesn't get wise to me. If he does, I will figure something out, and make sure he gets what he needs, period! He's my heart-dog, and I sure as heck don't want to lose him to something so preventable!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

That's what I have to do, pop it as far back as you can reach, hold his mouth closed, and gently rub the throat (get's done twice a day with pills here.)

Switching wouldn't really be worth it for me, since I frontline year round anyway and I do them the same day.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.