Gi Bleed

Guest CygnetC

Guest CygnetC

Have anyone here ever dealt with a GI bleed in their dogs? What was the cause? Was it something other than NSAIDS? What was the outcome???

Guest ChancesMom

When you say GI bleed. Is the blood just coming from the stool or from mouth & nose? Chance had bloody stool and I mean it was all just blood. He had what they call HGE (Hemoragic Gastro Interitis) (not sure of the spelling). It took IV antibiotics, IV fluids and then oral antibiotics and another med that coated his intestine. His whole intestine was inflamed.

Yes, with Vinnie.

We don't know the cause, but maybe an ulcer. We used carafate, reglan, and pepcid.

He had NEVER been on NSAIDS in his life up to the time this hapened. He never bled again after that and we used metacam with him a few years later with no ill effects.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Had a foster who developed "hemorrhagic colitis". Perhaps that's the same as HGE but she only needed a round of metronidazole to put her right. It stopped hours after the first dose. For this girl, no fluids or hospitalization was necessary. No specific cause was found but an infection was presumed.

Guest Winterwish

Can you can describe the symptoms?

Hoping everything's alright with your pups tonite CygnetC!

Edited by Winterwish

Guest CygnetC
Can you can describe the symptoms?

Dreamer had HGE once and was pretty sick. He recovered with prompt treatment tho'.

Hoping everything's alright with your pups tonite CygnetC!

Black tarry stool. Weight loss (down to 66.8 pounds from 72 . . . and he has never had an ounce of fat on him). Appetite loss. Gums that go from pink to white on and off throughout the day (vet says it's probably microburst bleeding). Mild lethargy, but frankly it hasn't been bad.

Of course on top of all of that he got attacked today by my boss' dog (something NONE of us saw coming ever, obviously due to Wally being sick) so now he's in pain but unable to take NSAIDS due to the GI bleed. I'm awake right now giving him oral arnica, massaging in arnica gel and panaway oil, and giving him R&R to hopefully help him sleep. Maybe I should take some to help me sleep . . .

Yes, with Vinnie.

We don't know the cause, but maybe an ulcer. We used carafate, reglan, and pepcid.

He had NEVER been on NSAIDS in his life up to the time this hapened. He never bled again after that and we used metacam with him a few years later with no ill effects.

You just gave me a great deal of hope. Thank you.

Guest lauri

JUST went through it. Stools were dark, but couldn't see blood. But what we did notice was funny apetite amd then not eating very many meals. Then the gums went almost white and Miles seemed blah...not himself. He was anemoc. NOT nough to have a transfusion, but still, it was pretty bad and came on rather quickly.

Every test you could imagine and through the radiographs the vet could see stomach bleeding, but we still don't know why. The only thing she didn't run was an endoscopy, which was the only way to tell it was ulcers or IBD/IBS. Vet gave us some meds that we humans take for healing ulcers and the such, to see if that wold work, if not, then the endoscopy. We were also to give a bland diet which was a lot of fun - try to ge a non-eating dod to eat bland!

It took a couple of weeks and a few different foods, but we've gotten him on EVO - we suspect he had some food issues tat started this whole thing. Eventually his pink gums came back, he got energy back and we're all happy now! B)

He was and hadn't been on any medication, so NSAIDS are suspected.

Edited by lauri

Guest AussieWilma
When you say GI bleed. Is the blood just coming from the stool or from mouth & nose? Chance had bloody stool and I mean it was all just blood. He had what they call HGE (Hemoragic Gastro Interitis) (not sure of the spelling). It took IV antibiotics, IV fluids and then oral antibiotics and another med that coated his intestine. His whole intestine was inflamed.

We are recovering from an episode of HGE with our Miss Wilma. She had 'explosive' (the e-vets description!) bloody diarrhea and vomiting and was hospitalized for 4 days - and is making a slow but steady recovery. The cause is still not known.

It was terrifying for all of us.

Wilma's treatment is detailed in the Heart Tumor post - as we also discovered that during an ultrasound.

Hoping for a speedy recovery. Sending love your way.

Natalie, Gavin and Wilma

Edited by AussieWilma

You are welcome ;):)

What meds are you giving him now? (I am a huge fan of carafate. It's ulcer medicine for people)

And I want to tell you I am so sorry he was attacked. The bleed is bad enough for him. Now he hurts inside and out. :(

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest ChancesMom

Black tarry stool in humans is a sign of old blood. Which means that they may have bleeding ulcers in the stomach. I don't know anything about a dogs intestines and if they are like humans or not. Has he been checked for ulcers. When Chance had HGE the Carafate did nothing for him. He also had explosive diarrhea that was all blood. They kept him overnight on iv fluids and iv antibiotics. He was sent home on oral antibiotics and a medicine which I wish I could remember the name of. It was in a tube, very thick brown, and I had to put it on my finger and put it way in the back of his mouth to get him to eat it. It was used to coat his intestine and worked very well.

Guest CygnetC

Wally doesn't have explosive diarrhea at all, which is good. Right now he's on flagyl, pepcid, and sulfacrate for the bleed (and oral arnica, arnica gel, panaway, and R&R for the whiplash he received from being picked up and shaken in the attack).

Guest paulamariez

I will keep your precious Wally in my prayers for a quick recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending doggie kisses for Wally as well!

Guest CygnetC

Thank you everyone. It did my heart a great deal of good to see him stand up on his own a little earlier without me prompting or him screaming. I know my poor boy hurts and I just wish I could do more!!!

Ouch! What a lot of painful things for your sweet boy! Glad he is doing a little better. Could he have tramadol?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.