Promeris Flea Control

Guest mb1099

Guest mb1099

Pro meris flea control

Is this product safe to use on our greys? I've heard bad reports, but just hearsay!

Edited by mb1099

Guest lat41065

In all fairness I have to say I have 3 separate boarding clients ( 7 dogs total)that have been using it without incident.

I alternate between Advantix and Frontline Plus and have one that cant use FL it makes her look like its been burned with acid but Advantix is ok and another that cant use Advantix but Fl is fine. Here in the south we have to use something.

I am pretty much an all natural type that uses DE primarily so I only half dose topicals.

Lesley

The reported levels of adverse reactions are no different than any of the topical products on the market (Advantix, Frontline, Revolution, etc.). The hype has been generated by 1 email that has been cross posted a LOT! That isn't to say that some dogs couldn't react to Promeris... there isn't a drug on the market that some dogs won't react to... but the drug isn't causing an "alarming" number of reactions.

What is the big positive with Promeris? It will cause paralysis of the ticks mouthparts within 2 hours and thus should PREVENT transmission of TBDs. Frontline cannot make that claim. I'd have to look at the kill time for Advantix to see if they could.

What is the biggest negative with Promeris that I have personally seen? I think it smells TERRIBLE! I think it is a more effective product than Frontline or Advantix but it is also newer and thus we don't know about all of the possible side effects yet. So would I use it? I actually have on my own Greyhound b/c of the superior tick coverage but it smelled bad enough that my wife said we couldn't use it anymore. : )

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

The reported levels of adverse reactions are no different than any of the topical products on the market (Advantix, Frontline, Revolution, etc.). The hype has been generated by 1 email that has been cross posted a LOT! That isn't to say that some dogs couldn't react to Promeris... there isn't a drug on the market that some dogs won't react to... but the drug isn't causing an "alarming" number of reactions.

Out of curiosity, was this determined by a study? If it was, who paid for it?

(I'm not dissing Dr. Feeman- I'm just like to know from whence these data sprang!)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

You can contact any of the pharmaceutical companies to discuss rate of reactions of any drug on the market. You can find out what percentage of adverse events are reported per X doses and what types of events are reported. The incidence of adverse events wasn't determined by a study... it is just comparing the various rates of reactions.

Here is the generic statement put out by Ft. Dodge:

http://www.promeris.com/ProMeris_com_Response.pdf

Bill

Lady

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest mb1099

What is the big positive with Promeris? It will cause paralysis of the ticks mouthparts within 2 hours and thus should PREVENT transmission of TBDs. Frontline cannot make that claim. I'd have to look at the kill time for Advantix to see if they could.

What is the biggest negative with Promeris that I have personally seen? I think it smells TERRIBLE! I think it is a more effective product than Frontline or Advantix but it is also newer and thus we don't know about all of the possible side effects yet. So would I use it? I actually have on my own Greyhound b/c of the superior tick coverage but it smelled bad enough that my wife said we couldn't use it anymore. : )

I've been using Sentenel, but causes loose stool in my grey. I wanted to change to a topical and saw the ad on Promeris. I also use a tick collar I purchased from the vet $28.00. it seems to keep the ticks off. My hound loves trees and tall grasses.. I live in the southeast and need all the help with these critters that loves my baby.

I've been using Sentenel, but causes loose stool in my grey. I wanted to change to a topical and saw the ad on Promeris. I also use a tick collar I purchased from the vet $28.00. it seems to keep the ticks off. My hound loves trees and tall grasses.. I live in the southeast and need all the help with these critters that loves my baby.

The "tick collar" is probably Preventic and is one of the best tick products on the market. :) Because the active ingredient is Amitraz I don't think I would likely pair that up with Promeris which also contains Amitraz. I would at least check with Ft Dodge to see if there are any compatibility issues first as I don't know off the top of my head.

Bill

Lady

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest WarmheartedPups

Our local grey chat group has reported a few adverse reactions. Our local Vet at the adoption group is no longer using it....going back to frontline. To many problems. clumps of hair falling out and "quiet dog syndrome"

DO NOT USE IT

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Is it just me, or does it seem like the pharmaceutical companies that are making these drugs are not the best way to track problems with the product? After all, they have a vested interest in the item being sold...

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

You got that right! It's like asking the coyote if the hens will be alright at night under their watch. ;) I'll stay off my high horse, but do not trust a situation where the people making the product are the ones telling you how safe it is. I'd like an independent agency to do that. I saw one of our adoption group dogs whose hair was coming out in clumps...not good. :gh_face Carole

• 1 month later...
Guest Nahoa

We've been using Promeris with our Grey and our Lab for three months now. Been working well. The Grey had some mites and the Promeris seemed to help a great deal with that. The smell is strong. We apply immediately before a walk and then walk them until it's dried quite a bit. Seems to reduce the impact of the odor indoors while also distracting them from the application. Of course this is just a guess, but it seems like they feel the application more than the Frontline we used to use -- from the smell I'm guessing it might feel like a menthol or something, but might not be right.

No indication of skin irritation at all. Seems to make them a bit sleepy the first day, but nothing dramatic. No indications of other side effects at all. The Grey wipes her head on her bed like she thinks she has something on her face, I'm guessing that's because of the odor again. Does that just 30 seconds or so then is fine.

Vet carries the range of flea and tick treatments. Recommended this one due to the mites. This vet is a wide practice including dogs, cats, birds, small animals, and large animals. They work with a regular stream of former racers and are very familiar with the particulars of Greys, so we were comfortable with the recommendation.

Dogs have been outdoors playing with other dogs in fields in a heavy tick area and we've had no problems to date. (Didn't with Frontline Plus, either.)

That's our experience!

Edited by Nahoa

• 11 months later...
Guest dbdjeb

My 9 year old greyhound suffers from regular bouts of Demodectic Mange, which we treat with Ivermectin. The episodes, which used to occur a year or so apart are now coming every few months. My vet suggested using Promeris as a preventative.

Has anyone had any recent experience with Promeris? The most recent post is almost a year old.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for treating Demodex, I'd love to hear them.

Guest Energy11

My former vet/employer/friend, from Florida said IT is NOT a good product for greyhounds!!!! I have heard lots and lots of negative things. Personally, I would NOT use it.

In all fairness I have to say I have 3 separate boarding clients ( 7 dogs total)that have been using it without incident.

I alternate between Advantix and Frontline Plus and have one that cant use FL it makes her look like its been burned with acid but Advantix is ok and another that cant use Advantix but Fl is fine. Here in the south we have to use something.

I am pretty much an all natural type that uses DE primarily so I only half dose topicals.

Lesley

I wouldn't use Advantix OR Promeris on mine... Just MY opinions and thoughts.

Guest greyvettech

We have only had a couple reports of lethargy in treated dogs.(who got over it the next day) Otherwise, owners are happy with the results and the animals are fine after treatment. Edited to note that I have not tried it on my greys-

Edited by greyvettech