Broken Tooth Cuz Of Bones :(

Guest Brandy_b

Guest Brandy_b

I was sooooo discouraged last night when I went to the vet and he said Caliloka has a big tooth fracture. Its on one of the back teeth used for grinding and chewing :( I know it needs to come out and soon so it wont hurt her but am I doing anything wrong with raw? I am just discouraged right now I think. Any ideas to make eating raw better for Cali? Thanks everyone.

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

What types of bones are you feeding/giving? I wouldn't think chicken bones would break a tooth... more likely to break a tooth would be "marrow" bones from beef or pork. I don't feed Elphie any of the "long" bones from those two... too hard and worried about teeth breakage. I think knuckle bones are supposed to be softer with less chances of breakage.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

She may have had a bad tooth back there to begin with - Turbo broke one in half while gnawing on a rawhide chew.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest greybookends
What types of bones are you feeding/giving? I wouldn't think chicken bones would break a tooth... more likely to break a tooth would be "marrow" bones from beef or pork. I don't feed Elphie any of the "long" bones from those two... too hard and worried about teeth breakage. I think knuckle bones are supposed to be softer with less chances of breakage.

Agreed. If I give beef bones I supervise and only allow them to gnaw them until the meat is gone and then I take it from them.

Someone I know had their dog crack a back tooth on a marrow bone (she wasn't feeding raw, just giving these bones, so there's little doubt what caused it) which resulted in a root canal. In general I find beef bones to be very hard, so I avoid them - especially cause Chaos is a very tenacious chewer so I think she'd be a prime tooth cracking candidate. We don't give marrow bones at all, I usually stay away from beef ribs as well, and just recently picked up some beef neck bones to try - those are too hard for my liking as well so I won't get them again.

Do you feed any beef bones? I do use all kind of pork bones because they seem much softer to me, but YMMV.

Edited by Ola

Mizzy damaged a tooth either from turkey necks or large Milk bones. She had a dental at the end of February and everything was fine. Ended up getting two teeth pulled. I will not give her the large Milk bones or turkey necks again.....

Sending prayers. The sooner the better getting that tooth out. An infection behind the eye is not pretty. Took 3 weeks to get it to the point where Mizzy could have the teeth out.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Brandy_b

I did feed beef bones back home (we just moved) but here we dont because the cost is insane. And I do feed pigs feet, but in recent light of the situation I am not giving them to her right now (which sucks cuz I just bought a case of them!!!). Thanks everyone! I am booking the extraction tonight.....gonna set us back about $900.00 but its worth it to have my baby all fixed up.

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Ouch! Literally. Did you see Wade? If so, at least she'll be in good hands.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Brandy_b

I did, but I dont think I'm going to get it done there. I have also visited Bridlewood and might just go there. Wade was super nice and good to her but we just had such a huge bill with the initial check-up last night and the quote seems high, and the drop off- pick up times dont work for us, and then the date of the appt they want to schedual doesnt work for us either. Its just not very accomidating for us since Mike starts work on june 2 and I am already working 12 hr days, etc. Sucks cuz Wade is super good, but not much I can do about work, lol.

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Welll..... it stinks that she broke a tooth, but I wouldn't rush to cut out bones completely. Sobe broke OFF a canine tooth on a crate - so - are all crates always bad? Nope. Good judgement needed, on a "per dog" basis needed. (no crates for Sobe).

Use your judgement, I'd almost guess it was a soft tooth to begin with. But, I'd agree with others, and for her, stay away from the long bones. My dogs do get marrow bones, with no issues.