Phoenix Area, Az Greyhound Owners

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm curious to know which vets people use for their Greyhounds in the Phoenix area. I'm not loving mine so I'm thinking of switching.

Guest ArtysPeople

My family has taken numerous cats and dogs to Dr. Koch at East Maryland Animal Hospital (Just W. of 7th Street on Maryland in Phoenix) for literally decades. I didn't have a grey when I lived there (most recently in 2004) so I can't say how grey savvy they are, but if I still lived there, I would still be taking my animals there.

The "go to" vet for all things greyhoundish is Dr. Gary Yocham, over at Southside Animal Hospital. No appointments, hardly no waiting, hardly any sense of humor. But the fellow used to be the track vet for Phoenix, and he knows the breed better than anyone else. The specifics on Yocham and other "AAGI-approved" vets are here:

http://www.arizonaadoptagreyhound.org/vets.php

I originally went to see Kleban on the list, but they were out of the office and Dr. Pears (?) in the same office informed me greyhounds were just like all other breeds. I didn't go back.

I now go to the vet up the street for routine maintenance; she's good, but the office is undergoing expansion. They gave me an estimate for $550-650 for general anesthesia to remove two spots of what were probably hemangiosarcoma; I took Coco to Yocham for a second opinion, and he quoted me $90 and took 'em off with a local. It wasn't just a cost savings (although that was a consideration); it's also the risk of a general, plus the recovery time and unnecessary trauma to the animal.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thank you for your responses! I will check them out. Even though they aren't close to me, for non-emergencies I would like a more Greyhound savvy vet!

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Ruiz at Central Phoenix Animal Hospital. She and her staff are wonderful - in fact, she was referred to us by a greyhound owner in Phoenix and now we drive from Californis to see her. I can't say enough good things about her. :rolleyes:

Edited by Greybud

I go to Katie Andre at Bethany Animal Hospital. She's been a friend for years & treated Nevada fantastic. Some people like her & others don't. I find her compassionate & reasonable in both treatment & cost. She's the Vet for Fast Dogs/Fast Friends.

Edited by NevadasMom

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart