How Much Redness Should I Expect

Phaelin's neck is pretty red around the area where the ER clinic took blood on Thursday for Brady's transfusion. I haven't been putting his collar on since then because I didn't want to irritate the area. He did wear a collar for a short time at yesterday's show & tell (only when he was walked.....otherwise I took it off when he was in the ex-pen). His activity level has been normal. Per the clinic's instructions, I had left the neck wrap on for about 4 hours after they took his blood and when I took the wrap off, there wasn't even any blood on it. I tried taking a picture of it, but you can't really see the area very well.

I just don't have any experience with having that much blood drawn...... I expected some bruising, but just wasn't sure exactly how much. Since I know there are some people who take their dogs in as donor dogs, I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Really depends on the dog and on the draw. Some folks might not see any bruising ever, but it isn't common to have some leakage under the skin after, especially if a larger needle is used. Maybe between the size of one and two handprints would fall in the "not uncommon" range? If it's not spreading, he's not sore, and it starts fading in the next day or so, shouldn't be any worries.

If he hasn't bruised from blood draws before, wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it to your vet next time he's in for anything. But it probably isn't any cause for concern.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Really depends on the dog and on the draw. Some folks might not see any bruising ever, but it isn't common to have some leakage under the skin after, especially if a larger needle is used. Maybe between the size of one and two handprints would fall in the "not uncommon" range? If it's not spreading, he's not sore, and it starts fading in the next day or so, shouldn't be any worries.

If he hasn't bruised from blood draws before, wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it to your vet next time he's in for anything. But it probably isn't any cause for concern.

That's what I was looking for. His bruising is about the size of a small handprint, so I'm sure he's good. Thank you!

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

Paula, I opened this thread because Brilly gave blood for the second time on Tuesday, and we've spent the rest of the week watching fluid and bruising collect and dissipate. First time, nothing. This time, bruising at and below the needle site, and fluid under the jaw. :blink: Oh well. It never bothered him, and it did change and go away, so okay. But, it's worrisome-looking, huh?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest Ohiogreymom

My guys are donors for OSU, and the bruising can vary. Sometimes there IS no bruising, and other times slight, but one time Spy's needle came out and they had to redo, so lots of bruising. It really never seems to bother my guys though. I bet you're awfully proud of your big guy, right? :wub:

My guys are donors for OSU, and the bruising can vary. Sometimes there IS no bruising, and other times slight, but one time Spy's needle came out and they had to redo, so lots of bruising. It really never seems to bother my guys though. I bet you're awfully proud of your big guy, right? :wub:

:nod Now I can say that Brady and Phaelin are "blood brothers"!

Guest Ohiogreymom

:nod Now I can say that Brady and Phaelin are "blood brothers"!

I'm so very happy Brady is doing better and may go home tomorrow! My hat's off to all you guys and your greys who helped him! :P