Hartz?

Guest S8VGreys417

Guest S8VGreys417

Last week when i went to the vet to get my flea and tick prevention the Vet informed me that they were now only carrying Promeris, which i have heard bad things about so i decided not to get it. I had to order my Advantex that i usually use, but i needed to reapply today ( I live in Alabama, the fleas and ticks are already horrible here). I went to Petsmart just to get something for this month until i start back with Advantex next month. I got Hartz in control, has anyone ever used this product? what was your experience? I put it on the dogs today and they seem fine, and the smell isn't toxic so I am pleased with that. What's your feedback?

It has Permethrin in it, but then so does Advantix....

Advantix liquid has permethrin and imidacloprid:

http://k9advantix.petparents.com/howItWorks.cfm

Hartz InControl Reflecting Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs

Active ingredients: Tetrachlorvinphos : 14.55%, S-Methoprene: 1.02%, Other Ingredients: 84.43%

They may have other models out there. But after a quick peek at www.hartzvictims.org, I wouldn't use anything they make. Lots of reports of bad reactions, many of which have some horrible photos to go with 'em.

ETA: It's worse than I thought. Hartz pulled all their old stuff as per the EPA. They re-released it, same junk but with new labels. Too dangerous to use for normal animals with normal physiology, let alone greyhounds and their quirks.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/flea-tick-drops.htm

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

And substantiation that tetrachlorvinphos is not good for ghds: google up "tetrachlorvinphos" and "organophosphate," and you will see it is an organophosphate pesticide- a "nerve agent" for bugs. This is a good thing. We like dead bugs. Now google up "organophosphate" and "greyhound," and up come the links saying OPs are bad for greyhounds.

In all likelihood, brief exposure will not cause harm. However, if any of the usual signs come up, get help. From the Merck manual:

In general, OP pesticides have a narrow margin of safety, and the dose-response curve is quite steep. Signs of OP poisoning are those of cholinergic overstimulation, which can be grouped under 3 categories: muscarinic, nicotinic, and central. Muscarinic signs, which are usually first to appear, include hypersalivation, miosis, frequent urination, diarrhea, vomiting, colic, and dyspnea due to increased bronchial secretions and bronchoconstriction. Nicotinic effects include muscle fasciculations and weakness. The central effects include nervousness, ataxia, apprehension, and seizures. Cattle and sheep commonly show severe depression. CNS stimulation in dogs and cats usually progresses to convulsions. Some OP (eg, amidothioates) do not enter the brain easily, so that CNS signs are mild. Onset of signs after exposure is usually within hours but may be delayed for >2 days. Severity and course of intoxication is influenced principally by the dosage and route of exposure. In acute poisoning, the primary clinical signs may be respiratory distress and collapse followed by death due to respiratory muscle paralysis.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)