My Foster Dogs Have

Guest 5hounds

Guest threedognight

I just got them on Friday and took them to the vet today for a check up and they both have hookworms. I have never dealt with this before and was hoping for some advice from people that have. I do not want my three dogs to get this. I went online and did some research and it does not sound like there is much you can do to prevent spreading or to kill them in the yard. We go out everyday and pick up the yard and twice on the weekends. Is there something I am missing? Maybe I am overreacting?

The foster dogs are both being treated for this and will go back to the vet for a follow up in two weeks.

Thank you for your time and help.

Guest greyladydown

You can spray the area where they leave piles (after you pick up the poop) with bleach or a brine solution. It will kill the grass, but the grass will grow back. I never let the new dogs potty in the same area as my personal dogs until I know they are worm free.

Guest JudiK

I foster Florida dogs - two to four a month. Hookworms, whipworms, tapeworms... you name it. I simply bite the bullet and use Drontal+ once every three months on my own dogs... On the other two months I use Interceptor. When you foster straight from the track, worms are a part of life <sigh.>

Not much you can do. Just clean up right after they go. The faster you clean up the less likely they should get into the ground.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest gomiesmom

We recently had a bout of hookworms in our little new female ( after adoption, when she left home & went to the vet for spay,is the only thing I can figure- 'cause she didn't have'em when we adopted her.) :eek We gave her one pill ( sorry can't remember name)and she was cured.

Our guy, Gomie did not get b/c he is on interceptor, which, per the vet, kills them.The vet did say all of Lilly's poop ( in the yard, etc) was contaminated w/ larvae looking for a host dog.I cleaned the poop, but did not treat the yard w/ bleach or anything, since both (NOW)are on interceptor .

Guest RICHandJUDE

When we got our greyts 3 years ago, they were infested with hookworms. It took us almost 5 months to finally get rid of them. We had them on 3 types of medicine over the 5 month course.

It seemed that they were reinfesting themselves. We picked up after them as soon as they did their business. A vet tech finally told us that we had to kill any eggs that might be on the ground where they went. Finally we got rid of them. As soon as we would pick up after them we would pour some rock salt and water on the spot. That seemed to kill the eggs but killed the grass too. They have been worm free for over two years now. Good Luck!

Guest threedognight

Thank you for all the good information. I hope it does not take 5 months :eek These dogs were not kennel dogs. They came from a home that they lived in for 8 years. I did not think about them having worms. Thank you again.

Clean up as soon as they go.

About the only thing that kills hookworm eggs is sunlight -- don't bother with bleach, that won't kill them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm the hookworm goddess here (its not a good title, I assure you). Copper, we believe, has encysted hookworms (they are dormant in non-intestinal tissue and every so often awaken adn migrate to the small intenstines to complete teh lifecycle). We treat every month and more aggressively in summer.

Interceptor is better, I've found than HG+ for hooks. Also, about 2x per year he gets a treatment of straight injection of ivermectin, with a repeat 3 weeks later. I go interceptor, HG+ back and forth all year.

Anyhow, they say that direct sunlight adn a drought will kill the larvae in the soil. Maybe there will be a hot,dry spell this summer adn take care of your yard!

Anyhow, if you want any tips or advice, let me know!

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

Guest threedognight

Thank you for the information and the offer to help. South Florida has been in a drought for along time. Everyone is on water restrictions. My grass is dying and everyday I have been praying for rain. Maybe I should stop till the worms are gone :unsure

Thank you again

Guest crazy4greys

I have been fostering for awhile, and my own greys are on interceptor year round for that exact reason.

You never know what fosters have, no matter where they came from.