Corns On Four Toes

Hi all. I'm hoping you can help us out so that Maya can get to feeling better.

Maya has four corns on her toes - two on one front foot and two on the other front food. We've had some success with bee propolis sprinkled into her food and Kerasolv (7% active ingredient) on the corns themselves (bandaged, covered in toddler socks). But it seems like as soon as they're gone, they start coming back. Maya's a trooper, as she runs and runs and runs and runs without letting the corns get to her. When she gets inside, though, you can see that she's not comfortable.

We're feeding her (and Gwen, who has no corns) Science Diet Sensitive Stomach with olive oil. We occasionally feed treats like eggs, peanut butter, Milk Bones, and the biscotti that was showcased on Rachel Ray's pet special.

Is there anything you can suggest for a diet change that may help out with the corns? Or, would a higher percentage ointment work quicker. My wife found one that has the same active ingredient, but at 40%. That number is a little scary to us, but we thought we'd check with y'all.

Basically, at this point, any advice you can give us will be greatly appreciated... from both of us AND from Maya.

Thanks in advance,

IAMs

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

Guest lotsagreys4me

Do a search of past threads here. there was some great information regarding corns. I am really not sure that diet will help at all. Your vet can remove them but on some dogs hey come right back. Good luck, they can be quite painful............

Guest Lala

Ahhh! Corns are such a pain in the patootie (and feet!). My girl Lilah had them for quite a while. Do a search here in this forum for corns - there is much advice on topical treatments and hulling. I have never heard of diet having any impact on corns one way or another.

Edited to add: Some good info here: Corn Info

Edited by Lala

My boy has problem with corns. If I keep them filed down using the dremel and put bag balm on to keep it soft, he's much more comfortable. But I still use a boot for him when we walk.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Diet has nothing to do with it - it's *likely* viral, but that hasn't been definitively proven. Keep the pads soft, have corns hulled (or, as Diane noted, pop them out if you can) and use Therapaws to keep him comfy. That's about all you can do. If he's uncomfortable enough to need a painkiller, a low dose of tramadol usually does the trick.

Good luck. Having a corn dog is a PITA. We've been dealing with it for a couple of years now.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MZH

We went through corns back in the late 1980s when no one really knew how to deal with them. Things are a lot better now! We had to make him booties, which didn't fit well. I finally figured out how to make a reusable foot bandage just for walks. It lasted about three days. Thank heavens for Therapaws.

Marcia

Guest Ally

2 dogs, same food. One with terrible corns, one without. Keep having them removed by the vets but keep coming back approx every year. Therapaw boots are a godsend though. I will be looking at alternative remedies myself though as it's getting a touch expensive (not that I mind but if there's another means?).

When I got Doc at the end of January he was the poster boy for foot corns ... had several on each foot! I hulled them out with my fingernail, packed the holes left with bag balm & rubbed his pads with bag balm. Here we are ... Mid May - NO CORNS can be found on any of his feet, his pads are soft again. No signs of them growing back. :yay

How did I get them to all go away? Was it hulling and the Bag Balm? Was it the switch to Solid Gold Hund and Flocken (sp?) food? Was it the change in enviroment?

I don't know, but I'm glad that they are GONE !!!!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge