New From Atlanta And Adopting A Grey With A Wonderful Golden/lab

Guest PlannerMom

Guest PlannerMom

HI,

I am Robyn and live in Alpharetta north of Atlanta. My husband and I have built our entire family including canines through adoption. We have 3 kids, 11, 10 & 7, 2 girls and a boy. Yesterday we saw the local chapter of greyhound adoption at the local petsmart and we thought it might be a good match for our family and existing dog, Casey who is a wonderful and sweet & calm Golden Retriever / Lab mix we adopted through a rescue. She is very laid back. WE both work outside the home and therefore the addition of a Grey would be alone from humans but have company with Casey. WE also don't have a fence and we take our Casey out to relieve herself every morning and night & when necessary as well as take her on walks and to the dog park.

In your opinion do you think this would be a good match? I know the rescues know the temperment of each animal and would know if they would like our current dog.

So any comments from others who have adopted with other dogs in the household already?

Glad to be on the forum. I have already learned a lot from it.

Robyn

Guest Rosie_Dozer

Welcome !

Having a prior pet shouldn't matter. Take your dog with you when you go pick out your grey, you will know just by watching the ones that get along with your dog , kids and you. Don't forget to check out the seniors they make wonderful pets.

Welcome to Greytalk! :wave Great that you're researching greys before adopting. :) Your golden mix sounds like a greyhound in a furry suit. :lol Be sure to include her in the selection process. You'll be able to tell who's comfortable with who.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Welcome!

I have a friend who just adopted a 3 y/o golden to be a companion for her 9 y/o grey. They get along greyt! It's all about finding the right personality combination.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

welcome.gif

When I adopted my first greyhound, a 4 1/2 year old male named Frosty, I had a 5 month old female weimaraner! Probably not exactly a match made in heaven, but he was so patient with her and she absolutely adored him. She went with us to a lot of greyhound events. Frosty was always super excited to see other greyhounds and Hannah was too. Having grown up with a greyhound, Hannah thought she was one. :D

I think a laid back retriever mix would be a great companion for a greyhound -- and not nearly as annoying as a weimaraner. :lol

Keep us posted, Robyn!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown