Hershey Has Lymphoma

Guest HersheysMom

Yesterday and today there is a thread running on the Greyhound list about lymphoma. Seems like some dogs are successfully treated with prednisone and nothing else. Also chemo works on some dogs, pred works on others. That revelation blew me away; I had no idea lymphoma could be treated with pred alone! (No experience with lymphoma here; I'm just passing it on in case it might help someone.)

Wowza! Well he is doing ten times better after a week on Pred, but he only started the Pred one day before his first chemo treatment, so hard to tell what's working better or if it's a combination. I'll have to check that out. Definitely makes me glad he's on Pred.

Pred. definitely helps, at least for a while (4-6 m from what I recall) by itself. It does works better w full-blown chemo. Unfortunately, I don't recall which is which, but some type(s) of lymphoma are more treatable than others. I know pred helped Cosmo, but we had her on it for a very long time (~2 yrs) and I think that is what eventually took her from us, because I talked the vet into letting me give it every day rather than every other day as is required with long-term use. (I didn't fully understand back then why that was a problem.)

Good luck to Hershey. It's a bit of a roller coaster at times, but when chemo works it can give you months, if not years, more quality time.

Hugs,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paulamariez

Oh, poor Hershey! But I am glad to hear that he seems to be resonding well to his treatment! I will keep your precious boy in my thoughts and prayers so that he has much quality time left to spend with his family! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Hershey a bunch of healing doggie kisses too!

Wowsa, indeed! Ain't it great when there are more than one treatment options that can work for difficult and different varieties of similar illnesses? :thumbs-up

Our Cullen had a grade 4 retroperitoneal hemangiosarcoma but all the oncologist could offer were the usual chemo options that might work for grades 1 or 2. If only pred or something else "off the wall" would have worked for him!

Go Hershey; like you, I'm glad he's on pred and it's helping him!

Marcia in SC