Surgery Vs Aspiration

Guest boni923

Guest boni923

We found a couple different lumps on my 8 yr old male, Sabot, this past weekend & immediately brought him into vet. They did a quick aspiration in office and found one (the biggest in size-cherry tomato) to have round cells. The other; a hard, little bump on his chest had "one" mast cell. The vet reccomends surgery and send it to lab for biopesy tests. The other test to do would be another aspiration and they would send that off to the lab. The vet is more worried about this mast cell and thinks surgery is best option, they would be removing the bigger tumor with round cells also. I am worried and think maybe the aspiration would be better for him?

Help! Does anyone have a reccomendation or personal experience that might help in our decision?

Absolutely have the surgery performed! Even finding one mast cell means excision is necc. The only way to "grade" a mass cell tumor (to see how aggressive it is) is through a complete histopath (biopsy). The biopsy will also be able to tell you if your Vet was able to get clean margins (get it all). As far as the round cell tumor--yes remove that too! Rounds cells can be various tumors and IMO they are better off your dog and in a formalin jar! Have the surgery performed---maybe have his teeth cleaned while he's under too :P

Yes, surgery ASAP for the mast cell tumor. The aspiration is purely diagnostic -- and you already have the diagnosis! They might as well take the other lump off too while he is under, in case it also turns into something.

Once it is off they will check with the Path lab to be sure the margins are clean and they got it all. Clean margins = peace of mind. You may be surprised by the size of the incisions when he comes home, but taking wide margins is good.

We highly recommend the Bite-Not collar and a T shirt instead of an E-collar for recovery. Pilgrim had extensive surgery on her back for nerve sheath sarcoma removal but is doing fine today.

Hope all goes well,

Gillian

Catwalk, Pilgrim and Murphy

Edited by 2whitegreys

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest boni923

Thank you for giving me input. I had decided to go with the surgery for both, but its nice to know how others feel or have experienced. The t-shirt sounds better than a collar, too! I'll ask the vet about those when he goes in on the 15th.

Prayers are always appreciated!

Thank you for giving me input. I had decided to go with the surgery for both, but its nice to know how others feel or have experienced. The t-shirt sounds better than a collar, too! I'll ask the vet about those when he goes in on the 15th.

Prayers are always appreciated!

Good! Please let us know how your baby is doing and when you get the pathology reports. Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.