Sunny Had A General Anaesthetic Last Thursday

Sunny had a general anaesthetic last Thursday to have a small skin growth removed as there was suspicion it could be cutaneous hemangiosarcoma - I am awaiting the pathology report any day.

He's doing OK but we did have some problems with him following the anaesthetic. For the first 5 hours after we got him home he constantly dripped and dribbled urine. It wasn't a huge problem: we just kept taking him outside to pee every 20 minutes and put towels under him to catch the leaks and it just stopped after 5 hours. But still, I've never had this happen before.

On the Friday, he was sleeping in another room when he suddenly started yelping. By the time I got to him, he was standing up looking very agitated and worried, but calmed down fairly quickly. On the Saturday, the exact same thing happened again.

On Sunday I was lying on the bed with him, very peaceful, when he suddenly looked very frightened, got up and started staggering around in a drunken fashion witih a far-away, worried look on his face. He managed to jump off the bed, with me steadying him, and continued to stagger around - I'm sure if I hadn't been there to steady him, he'd have been crashing into the walls or falling over. After about 20-30 seconds of this, he suddenly recovered and was pretty much his normal self.

I rang the emergency vet, who said it sounded more like syncope (fainting) than a seizure, and to just keep a diary in case it should happen again.

He has to go back to vet next Monday to have his stitches out, and obviously I will be mentioning all this to the vet, but I want to be armed with as much information/questions as possible.

Naturally, I am very worried about my lovely boy and can't help but wonder if this is some sort of reaction to the anaesthetic. I'm always a nervous wreck when my greys have to have anaesthetics, so God only knows how I'll be if Sunny should need another one in the future.

Sunny is 3 years old, in perfect health, and was given an Isofluorane anaesthetic with IV fluids + a Rimadyl injection and some antibiotics for a small cut on his foot.

Any thoughts, or similar experiences, particularly after an anaesthetic?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

How scary this must be to watch. It might be a good idea to report the latest incident(s) to the vet before next Monday. It might be an allergic reaction to something, maybe even the Rimadyl or something entirely unrelated.

We had a dog with syncope. She recovered immediately, if I recall correctly. At first we thought she was having seizures but it turned out that when her heart started racing at 180 BPM she'd simply fall to the ground. She never staggered around; she'd just drop; when her heart rate returned to normal, she got up and resumed life like nothing had happened. This would even happen while she was eating!

Having had both seizure and syncope dogs, I'd say this sounds more like seizure or a reaction to something.

We got a very quick diagnosis by videotaping an incident and showing it to the vet. A picture is worth a thousand words, as the old saying goes. :lol:

Thanks MZH.

I think you may be spot on re a possible reaction to Rimadyl.

I looked up the listed adverse reactions and they include:

- unusual patterns of urination / incontinence

- staggering

- uncoordination

- seizures

- loss of balance

I will definitely be speaking to my vet.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Thanks Burpdog.

If Sunny were yours, would you take him in for the blood test tomorrow, or would you wait until Monday when he has an appointment for his stitches to come out?

He seems fine now - apart from slightly runny/orangey poop - so I'm not sure what the degree of urgency is?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

Guest taylorsmom

Oh No!! Here's hoping that it was just a reaction to the rimadyl for poor Sunny! Also wondering about the skin pathology report, after going through all of that, I certainly hope the skin growth was benign!

sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for a good report.