Coughing After Drinking

I've been meaning to ask the same question! Holly coughs after drinking too. We've only had her since July and I think she has done this since we got her (although I can't say that for sure). One thing I do remember about when we got her is that she spits out a lot of water after drinking. I had to put a large rug around the water bowl (which is raised).

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest Greytluv

One of mine does it also. I was told they are drinking too fast. Sometimes she even barfs up some.

Edited by Greytluv

we were talking about this this afternoon, and they mentioned putting rocks or a brick or upside down bowl or something in the water bowl to slow them down, just like you would with the food bowl...we currently have a rock in Zelda's food dish for this very reason as she will vomit food back up (and then re-eat it) if she eats too quick

Also, we've found that by putting ice cubes in, Pop doesn't like to touch his water and waits for them to melt...Zelda will keep on drinking and sometimes take the ice cubes out, but she does slow down as well.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Yup, my little Q'tesh does this too, I think she is drinking too fast and probably gets some air in there as well. I'm going to try putting something in the bowl as well.

Guest LadyChester

I have one that has done this since he arrived here. I know there are dangers in eating too fast. Is there really any danger in drinking too fast???

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Speck has been doing this since day one of having brought him home (more than five years ago.) I've inquired with 3-4 different vets about this, even asked Dr. Couto, and nothing has ever been thought to be wrong with him. We've chalked it up to a quirk of his that, for him specifically, doesn't affect him adversely. Still, check with your vet.

Guest missmyboyz
Speck has been doing this since day one of having brought him home (more than five years ago.) I've inquired with 3-4 different vets about this, even asked Dr. Couto, and nothing has ever been thought to be wrong with him. We've chalked it up to a quirk of his that, for him specifically, doesn't affect him adversely. Still, check with your vet.

Remember when you were doing that GUR with the female grey that was Speck's "aunt" when she would drink she coughed too? You thought it could be hereditery..... (jokingly)