Do Antibiotics & Pain Meds Typically Cause Diarrhea?

Guest greyfiend

Guest greyfiend

As I posted on Sunday our Filbert was bitten by a dog, resulting in a new "haircut" and 4 stitches. He is on Amoxicillin twice daily and on Monday I went to our regular vet and got some Tramadol (conservative dosing) for pain. His poop was normal on Monday, but very soft today.

Does this sound typical of either the antibiotic and/or the pain meds.?

Thanks for your expertise.

Amoxy can, tramadol usually will cause constipation if it's going to do anything to the GI tract.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

yep, it could be the meds or it could be stress from being at the vet or it could be a pain response. acidophilus will help and also, if you aren't already, give the meds with some food.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)