Peppers Lame ,from Toe Amputation

Hi GTers, its been two weeks since pepper had an infected toe removed from his front right foot,and the last dressing came off on monday.since the dressing came off he seems lame,we were hoping to let him off leash,weds /thurs,but it looks like it will be a while yet before he comes off leash,he only wants to go for short potty walks at the moment,but seems well in himself. am i being too anxious,or does it take longer than i thought to settle down and get back to something near normal,i would appreciate any info thanks.

Guest wmlcml6

It does sometimes take longer than normal. We had a racer's toe removed, and she was walking on it before the stitches were even out. But when Chris had Sequoia's toe removed, I was really very concerned at how long she held her foot up. Then one day, out of the blue, she started walking on it. Maybe he or Jenn can come on and tell you how long it took, but it seems like it was over a month for her.

Guest lotsagreys4me

I had a foster girl that needed her toe amputated. It seemed as if it took forever for her to walk on it. More than a month after it was unwrapped for sure. One day it will just happen.

Tess had two toes removed at the same time, one on right front and one on left back. She was walkiing on both before the stitches was out and ran on them as soon as the stiches were out. She only limped as long as the bandages were on and twice she took them off her self.

Ruth

I'd say it took 6-8 weeks for our hound to be comfortable with the change in weight bearing. It seemed as if the rest of the foot muscles had to strengthen slowly over time to compensate for the missing toe.

Even now, many months post-amputation, the foot still comes up if it hits the ground the wrong way or if the foot is exposed to cold/frosty ground or a cold puddle. The vet said it would be a year or so until the nerve endings weren't as sensitive.

When we were going through it, I happened to speak to a pharmacist (in my hunt for non-stick gauze pads for the bandaging) and she said her non-grey took a solid 2 months before it seemed that the foot was as normal as it could be, given the amputation. It helped me tremendously to know that 2 months was realistic, and anything better than that was good fortune.

Guest Snowy8

I think the sensitivity in the skin & the soreness in the bone takes about a month to go away. I know that's what bothered Brogan was the sensitivity to his skin. Time......