Diawin

Guest leena

Guest leena

Hi all, I am going to post quickly and not give you the whole story because I am hoping for some fast replies. Have you ever heard of a med called DIAWIN? It is supposed to be charcoal and kaolin, I think? Leena has been sick for awhile, big D and occ. vomiting, horrible gas and very loud tummy noises. I fasted her and now is on boiled rice/chicken and pumpkin. I called the vet yesterday because she can't seem to shake it. It was a weekend so the tech called the vet at home and she prescribed diawin, and I am to follow up on Monday. I don't ever give Leena any new meds w/o researching first, and I can't find any mention of it on greytalk, and barely any mention of it even on google!

Have you heard of it? I would like to give it to her but I want to make sure it is safe. My vet is very familiar with greys but I still like to double check everything. I am neurotic like that.

Edited by leena

Guest leena

I just wanted to let you all know that I am checking this thread every 15 minutes this morning, so please, if you can help me, post it!

All I know is it's an herbal mixture for non specific diarrhea. Nothing harmful but I'm sorry I don't know more than that. I'm sure someone here does. I have a fairly new PDR so I'll check further

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest leena

Thank you! I am just kind of freaked that I can't find anything about it online. It doesn't look herbal, it comes in a prescription bottle from the vet. The pills are greenish black and round. She looks really unhappy today so I will wait a few more minutes to see if any new info comes up and then give it to her....Though I don't know how I will get her to eat it if she isn't feeling well...

I'm almost sure it's a herbal mixture, and yes, in pill form. Give me a few and I'll check the PDR I have.Maybe you can pm Burpdog, she seems to be a wealth of knowledge. But I'll check as well.....hang in there

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I've not heard of it. Searching, it is a prescription med:

Detailed Description

Helps control nonspecific diarrhea in dogs - usually within 24 hours. Also, relieves associated abdominal cramps, soothes indigestion and relieves nausea and upset stomach.

Dosage:

Dogs: 1 tablet per 30 lb(s) of body weight. Repeat 2-3 times daily as needed, or as directed by your veternarian. Double scored for easier dosing of smaller animals.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest leena

That is what I found when searching too...It didn't seem to have a drug profile, which I found odd.

I guess that I am going to give it to her if no-one finds any contraindications. I hate giving new meds! She just looks really miserable and the usual fasting then pumpkin/chicken/rice hasn't worked. I'll give it another 15 minutes or so to see if the PDR says anything. Thanks again guys!

Edited by leena

There you have it....I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link, but people who post on Greyhoundsreachthebeach.com use it for their Greys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest GramatoKRZ

Our 10 year old Boxer, Charlie has been on Diawin for about 8 months now for chronic diahrrea of unknown etiology. He went through testing for parasites, etc. But nothing could be found. Only other option was to do a scope to check for any cancer, but that wasn't really an option because the vet said refused to refer because she didn't think he'd survive anesthesia! So, she prescribed Diawin 1 tablet 2x daily. Nothing ...we played with the dosage until finding he got best relief on 2 tablets 3x daily. If he misses even one dose he's back to the diarrhea! It's a wonderful relief to the chronic diarrhea and constant seepage of stool!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I was out there doing research on it as if it were a new post when I realized the original post was from 2008.... I'm running into a lot more references with an online search through Diawin Veterinary Medicine . . . I wonder what happened with the op.