Does Milk Do A Dog's Body Good?

Guest Whippet

Guest gr84me

After Brody's surgery for an intestinal obstruction, he was very sick. He ran a fever and was on antibiotics. He was on pain meds (thankfully, as I cannot imagine how painful it would have been for him). For the first 48 hours, I thought I was going to lose him. I tried cooking everything I could think of - I roasted a chicken, I made pot roast, I think there's an old thread about it around here somewhere. I tried cheese, ice cream, liver, anything I could think of. He absolutely would not touch the canned, high calorie prescription food the vet sent home with me. He would not even raise his head to drink water. I sat next to him on the floor and fed water to him from a dropper. I slept on a sleeping bag on the floor next to him and got up every couple of hours to try to give him broth and water. I managed to get a few spoonfuls of food into him, and was just about to go to the store to buy some Ensure, when I decided to try some of his regular kibble, which is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. I added a lot of water, until the food was mushy and there was a broth, and then I added a little garlic powder (just enough to make it very stinky) and some cheese and warmed it in the microwave. He loved it! I still had to hand-feed it to him for a while every couple of hours, but it was amazing how fast he got better! After 10 days, you'd never know he was so sick, except for the shaved tummy and the scar.

If you can get some fluids into him, and a little food, once his tummy stops hurting, I think he'll bounce back pretty fast. Just be sure to keep checking for fever (normal for dogs is 101 deg. F rectally), make sure he takes his antibiotics, and some pain medicine would be really good if the vet will give you some.

Edited to add: I forgot about the mashed potatoes (actually he ate them pretty well), rice, cottage cheese ... you get the idea.

Edited by gr84me

Guest Winterwish

How is Whippet today? :getwell

Is he on pain medication?

Also,has he been going to the bathroom?

No, and yes.

He still doesn't eat much but he's active and has energy so I guess it's a good sign. He started to drink a bit more too.

Sophie.

Reason I asked about the pain meds is,I was wondering if he might be in pain.

And about going to the bathroom in case he was constipated due to pretty intense abdominal surgery,accompanied by less movement physically,as well as pain medication.

All could lead to constipation,and symptoms coming from that.

I'm glad Whippet has started to drink more,and hope he's

feeling a whole lot better. :dogcookie:)

Good news! Sending gentle scritchies for Whippet!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest paulamariez

Glad to hear that Whippet is doing better! Heck, if he's not drinking hardly anything, please give him the milk! It's certainly better than nothing!! Tiger, Bueller and Domino sending Whippet some healing doggie kisses too! Keep chowing Whippet!!

Guest SquanHound

I am sorry I am just seeing this now, but :yay great news that he is doing better. If you still need ideas I would try broilled fish -- white fish is really mild if his belly is an issue, but salmon is Ping's favorite! Hope Whippet continues to get better.

Guest gr84me

Whew! I was just checking in to see how Whippet's doing ... great news!

I'll bet he bounces back pretty fast, now that he's starting to feel better.

Can you get some rest now?