Cardiomyopthy- Updated Info Post 5

Guest whatahound

Guest whatahound

I took Gee in for her 6 month wellness check this morning. The vet thinks she may have cardiomyopthy, because her heart beat did not sound as strong as she would like. She said that she was not real concerned at the moment, but that she can do an ultrasound to be sure.

Gee Gee does great on 1 mile walks and does not cough. The vet said to watch her energy level for any changes.

Does anyone have any experience with this ? Any other things I should watch for or supplements to give her.

Edited by whatahound

Guest whatahound
Is this vet familar with greyhound heart sounds? I'm too familar with cardio as I lost my Dobe Chrissy to it.

I'd send an email to Ohio State and ask about this.

Supplements: CQ10

Yes, I believe that she is. She has MANY greyhounds that come to her practice.

Guest LittleGreys

My girl was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy just before her 3rd birthday and given 6-24 months to live. I had 5 different vets look at her with multiple echos. We put her on several meds, lasix, which we stopped failry quickly as it was deemed she just didn't need it, and benazapril. As far as supplements, I hit her with very high doses of CoQ10, L-Carnitine and taurine, vit E and fish oil. Expensive, but she did VERY well. She just turned 5. I took her last fall to a cardiologist who says she does NOT have cardiomyopathy, but has a valve problem. At this point, I am not sure who to believe, but as she is doing well, I just keep up with the supplements.

Edited by LittleGreys

Guest whatahound

I emailed OSU and received this reply:

I will be lining up an EKG, I've ordered some CQ10 and she was already getting fish oil.

Hi Donna,

As you correctly wrote Greyhound's heart present a bigger size , physiologic systolic murmur (I-II/VI) and also higher blood pressure than other dogs which generally confuse the Vets and misdiagnose cardiomiopathies. However, is also true that older Greyhounds can present cardiomiopathies.

Clinical signs are the key point in severe cardiomiopathies, in early stages it is difficult to diagnose and only echocardiogram (image) can help you to diagnose an incipient cardiomiopathy. Actually, there are some medications that help to reduce the progression of some cardiomiopathies.

If your vet has enough suspicious of incipient cardiomiopathy then echocardiogram should help to have a definitive answer.

Let me know if we can help

Paulo

Paulo Vilar Saavedra DVM, MS