What Does Parvo Look Like?

While waiting to pick up our foster Jake at the vet's, someone walked in with a pit bull-ish dog wearing a cast on a front leg. They were checking him in, and I noticed some dark-colored spots on the floor, which had been clean. The cast didn't look dark, so I suggested gently if they knew where the blood was coming from. Er, that's not blood, he said. Sure enough, it was a few drops of D- very dark, dripping off the dog. I asked if the dog had had his parvo shots, and with some amount of discomfort, he said no.

I went outside to warn some fellow who was getting ready to bring in his K9 unit that there could be a small problem, and ducked back inside to get Jake. I let the vet tech know the drops on the floor were from a dog that hadn't been vaccinated for parvo, and then took Jake out to the car and cautioned the K9 guy to avoid any dark spots on the floor because of the risk.

Never seen parvo before, but I've read horror stories and there are warnings of vaccinated dogs catching the newer strains; didn't want to overreact, but could this have been parvo?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Could have been. Could equally have been some other intestinal virus, reaction to medication, etc. You did the right thing, tho.

But for a simple vaccination ......

ETA: Usually with parvo, the dog loses condition FAST due to vomiting & diarrhea. So by the time folks bring the dog to the vet, tends to be a very weak and skinny dog. You tend to see it most often in puppies altho unvaccinated adults (especially younger ones) can get it too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yup, what Batmom said. They are also lethargic from all the vomitting and diarrhea. My friend's mom once lost nearly an entire litter of dobermans to parvo. Out of 8, I think one lived. Nasty stuff.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

He probably had the big D from his pain medication and/or antibiotic. Just a guess. Can't be too careful. It's not nearly as easy for an adult dog to get it as it is for a puppy. (Warning - the last statement is based 100% on what I've learned watching Animal Planet. :D )

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Tenderhearts
ETA: Usually with parvo, the dog loses condition FAST due to vomiting & diarrhea. So by the time folks bring the dog to the vet, tends to be a very weak and skinny dog. You tend to see it most often in puppies altho unvaccinated adults (especially younger ones) can get it too.

You're right on the money. When I worked for my vet, people usually waited too long to bring the dog in, and by then they were extremely sick.

The only adult dog I know who had parvo was a rottweiller that my oldest daughter and her then husband had. He was treated fairly early at the vet's and did survive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest McGreyt
While waiting to pick up our foster Jake at the vet's, someone walked in with a pit bull-ish dog wearing a cast on a front leg. They were checking him in, and I noticed some dark-colored spots on the floor, which had been clean. The cast didn't look dark, so I suggested gently if they knew where the blood was coming from. Er, that's not blood, he said. Sure enough, it was a few drops of D- very dark, dripping off the dog. I asked if the dog had had his parvo shots, and with some amount of discomfort, he said no.

I went outside to warn some fellow who was getting ready to bring in his K9 unit that there could be a small problem, and ducked back inside to get Jake. I let the vet tech know the drops on the floor were from a dog that hadn't been vaccinated for parvo, and then took Jake out to the car and cautioned the K9 guy to avoid any dark spots on the floor because of the risk.

Never seen parvo before, but I've read horror stories and there are warnings of vaccinated dogs catching the newer strains; didn't want to overreact, but could this have been parvo?

Could have been parvo. Could have been caused by some other contagious virus too. I think you were very smart to be so observant and cautious. Usually I love visiting my vet because I get to see so many different dog breeds. It's easy to forget that infected dogs do get sick, do go to the vets and do shed viruses there. I keep my pups' vaccinations current because I want them to have every possible defense against preventable illnesses. Thank you for posting!