Happy Tail

Guest jhev1

Guest jhev1

Hello again,

Seems like I am posting everyday with a question or two about our new guy, Canaan. He appears to have a bit of happy tail. When we come home, he is excited of course and wags his tail a lot. We never see it happening but always notice blood on the walls afterwards. Not just a drop or two either. Today we finally saw where it was coming from, the tip of his tail. Is there any way to wrap that part of the tail? Anyone have any suggestions on how we can help it heal?

John

One of my boys came to our house with the same problem. The tip of his tail was completely bald and very easily broken open to bleed when he wagged it - which was (and is!) all the time. It did eventually heal on it's own and now it's completely covered with no more bleeding. This happens sometimes when they are in a kennel a lot and banging it against the bars. I suppose you could try and cover it - be very careful though, if you wrap it too tightly that causes another set of problems. I might try lightly taping it with surgical tape so it stays on. Make sure there's no infection beforehand.

If there are any other symptoms (hair loss on other parts of the body, for instance) you might consider checking for thyroid deficiency.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Tigonie

(sings)

"Happy tails are here again!

The wagging blood will smear again!

Let's get out wrapping gear again,

Happy tails are here again!"

Whee!

We dealt with happy tail for about a year with Emma. Here's my advice on trying to get it to heal: Go out and buy yourself a roll of paper tape and a package of cheap foam hair curlers (medium or small--look at the hole in the foam to see what's most appropriate for your dog's tail thickness). Remove the plastic clips from the curlers, and cut a slit up the side of the foam. Open the slit, and place a foam curler around the tail, letting about 1/2 inch hang past the end of the tail. Tape over the curler and about 6 inches up the tail. Leave the end of the curler open (untaped), and this will allow for air circulation. Don't tape it too tightly.

Untape to check it every few days, to clean the tail and insure infection doesn't set in. You'll need a new foam curler every time. Continue to wrap it for about two weeks after you think it's healed. If all goes well, the problem will be solved and will not come back again. :goodluck When your neighbors ask, tell them your dog has "nerd tail." :lol

If the bleeding persists but the tail is not infected, I would mention it to your vet the next time you go in. In spite of all the blood, unless it's infected or broken or something serious (I mean, worse than broken skin), there's no reason to make a special trip.

Besides wrapping and hoping it heals, the more drastic solution is to dock the tail. Your vet can advise you about how serious the damage is and if/when to dock--and if so, how much to amputate. This would be done in cases of infection or if there's so much scar tissue that the tail just won't heal. But definitely try the hair curler trick for a while, since you wouldn't want to amputate unless it was absolutely necessary.

ETA: Particularly since he is new, you may be crating him. A lot of times it is the crate the dog bangs his tail on to bust it open. If that is true in your case, you might consider transitioning him out of the crate, at least before you stop wrapping the tail.

Edited by Tigonie

Guest crazy4greys

If you need some help, I would be happy to show you how to do the above wrapping and give you a roll of elastikon, which is really sticky and won't come off! :)

Just send me an email, Joanne@weadoptgreyhounds.org just put GT-happy tail in the subject line.

Edited by crazy4greys

I LOVE the hair curler trick, Tigonie! I wish I'd known about this when mine needed it!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just another idea that requires no adhesive at all. If you use the hair curler which I have found to be very succesful, instead of keeping it on with any adhesive product, there'a a product called Surgilast which we use on people with skin tears who have very very thin skin. It's a tubular net and it holds any type of bandage in place with no adhesive. It's great stuff to have around for any type of rip or tear that needs air to heal.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless