Update-- Obsessed Water Drinker

Guest jen_smith97

Guest jen_smith97

My guy that was a psycho water drinker has a possible diagnosis of polycythemia. We are going to do experimental water hydration for a couple of weeks. This is really, really rare and all of his levels are off. All of the medical terms are above me but his body is dehydrating him and he will only get a true reading on his blood tests is if he is "hydrated". So I have to load him up with water until he gets to a point he is disinterested in water. That in itself will be who know when. Needless to say I am a mess. But thanks for the concern and kind thoughts. Keep my sweet Scout in your prayers. I just lost my heart dog on 12-17-07 and I can't imagine losing Scout any time soon. We both have been so much the past few months.

If anyone is familiar with this I'd love to hear ANYTHING as far as feedback.

jen with Scout, Riley and Grammar at the bridge

Are your vets familar with greyhounds and water diabetes? With water diabetes, if I remember right, you just need to make sure they have water. Also, h pylori (which makes the stomach hurt) can cause excessive drinking.

edited to add: did you email Ohio State?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Many vets who aren't familiar with greyhounds want to diagnose polycythemia because their HCT/PCV can run very high. But that is normal for the breed. Make sure your vet is familiar with greyhound blood values -- could save some time and strife.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jen_smith97

My vet is very familiar with the breed. She has 6 greys of her own. Diabetes Insipitus has been ruled out. His red cell count that is usually in the 50/60 range in greys, which is hight in other breeds, Scout's is 76. the hematocrit level. How would I e-mail Ohio State? Do they do case studies or give opinions on rare cases? I'm not familiar with the "getting a second opinion" process.

Either you or your vet can send an email to greyosu@osu.edu. They're happy to help all comers :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hi Jen, I'm glad you found out what you and Scout are dealing with. I was wondering what happened at the vet. I don't know a thing about this, but follow the direction you're getting here.You can't get better advice. Will keep Scout in my prayers and please keep us posted.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless