Any Advice/experience With The "thumps?"

One of my boys is having a bad case of the "thumps." In my newest edition of "Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound" it says this condition is "characterized by a rapid irregular breathing almost resembling a hiccup," which is exactly what VooDoo does, except it sounds a lot more serious in person. It usually happens after playing or when he's excited (again, right in the textbook), and can last a few seconds to up to 10 minutes. The book only says to cool the dog down and make sure his electrolytes and calcium are adequate, and nothing about how to calm the diaphragmatic flutters as they're occuring.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My husband (who it really distresses the most) made us take VooDoo to the ER vet, and right on cue VooDoo started hiccupping. The vet wasn't impressed and said he hears it all the time and that we shouldn't worry about it. But it is distressing. Sometimes giving him ice cubes works (probably helps cool him down, I guess), and sometimes giving him something chewy to eat works. I don't want to really put anything in his mouth when it's happening cause I'm afraid he'll suck it right into his lungs.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Greysmom :colgate

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks, MZH!

I wish it were just the hiccups. It actually is more of an inward snort or snore that happens over and over. Sometimes once a second or so for up to ten minutes. It's very disconcerting, almost to the point that we don't want him to play or run since that seems to bring on an attack.

GM :D

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That sounds like a reverse sneeze to me. If so, your vet is right, it is absolutely nothing to worry about. :)

This dog in this video is an Italian Greyhound, so the sounds will be higher pitched, but should give you a good point of reference -

Reverse sneeze

Sometimes it's due an allergy or mites in the nose, but most of the time it's idiopathic, which basically means 'no known cause'.

Since he's doing it regularly while he's playing, I'm wondering if allergies might be the problem. You can check this out by giving him Piriton or Benedryl for a few days to see if it helps. If is does, back to the vet to discuss. The dose I use for Jack is one 4mg tab of the human 'over the counter' tabs, but people from the US might know something about the US versions that I don't. :dunno

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks, MZH!

I wish it were just the hiccups. It actually is more of an inward snort or snore that happens over and over. Sometimes once a second or so for up to ten minutes. It's very disconcerting, almost to the point that we don't want him to play or run since that seems to bring on an attack.

GM :D

The inward snort is definitely a reverse sneeze, but our Cullen may have been doing the same thing as your houndie. I know what a reverse sneeze is and his was that plus some other distressing sound added in. It sounded like he was going to stop breathing. I never found out what it was because it didn't happen often. I chalked it up to an allergy. The frequency has got to be upsetting. I'd love to know if an allergy med stops it. Please keep us posted!

Marcia

Thanks. everybody!

We started him on OTC dyphenhydramine (like Benedryl but cheaper!) which is a people antihistamine. No results yet but he'll probably have to take it a few days for us to see a change. It could very well be an allergy of some sort as it seems to be seasonal.

greysmom :D