Advantix

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

This is sort of greyhound related in that we use Advantix on our hounds. I just read something that said it shouldn't be used around cats but gave no details. I have never heard this before and we do have 3 cats. My vet is closed to day so can't call until Monday. In the mean time, does anyone know any more about this or have any experience? Thanks

(Also, please move this thread if it belongs elsewhere)

You shouldn't use Advantix around cats. Frontline or Frontline Plus is safe. I don't recall what the ingredient is, but Advantix is very dangerous for kitties.

Edited to add: :blush Oops -- I was thinking about the other tick control Advantage. I don't know about Advantix....

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest LokisMom

This is a random aside but... our vet knows we have cats. If it is in fact dangerous, why would he recommend we switch from what we were using and were happy with to something that could be dangerous for our other pets?

I really like our vet but I am starting to doubt him a bit.

My vet will NOT prescribe Advantix to me (I had used it safely on my hound) because I have cats. It's very dangerous to them, and because of the possibility of the oily stuff transferring off the dog (while still in the icky sticky stage) and then getting on the cat, she said it simply isn't worth the risk. We use Frontline Plus instead.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LokisMom
My vet will NOT prescribe Advantix to me (I had used it safely on my hound) because I have cats. It's very dangerous to them, and because of the possibility of the oily stuff transferring off the dog (while still in the icky sticky stage) and then getting on the cat, she said it simply isn't worth the risk. We use Frontline Plus instead.

Thank you so much for the response. I guess I will spend Monday attempting to get a refund for the 18 doses of Advantix our vet talked us into. I am so upset with him I could cry. We had been using Frontline Plus and were fine with it but when we switched vets he insisted we switch to Advatix because he thinks it's better. I am horrified by this. He's a good vet, I thought, and he owns greyhounds. I wanted to go witha grey savvy vet and I thought how more savvy can you get than having hounds... but I want my kitties safe too.

Now I'm just venting but I don't know whether to switch again or what. We've been through 2 vets in a year and it'd be nice to get used to one but... how can I trust him?

You shouldn't use Advantix around cats. Frontline or Frontline Plus is safe. I don't recall what the ingredient is, but Advantix is very dangerous for kitties.

Edited to add: :blush Oops -- I was thinking about the other tick control Advantage. I don't know about Advantix....

:blush:blush I was right the first time! At least the names are similar.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest crazy4greys

:blush:blush I was right the first time! At least the names are similar.

Advantage doesn't control ticks, just fleas.

I have heard of greys who got sick from Advantix. My vet told me not to use it!

Guest Ohiogreymom

We are using Advantix. The other flea meds just don't seem to work around here anymore. From what I've read on this, you can use it when you have cats, as long as you put it on the dogs late in the evening, and separate them overnight until it dries. They say there were studies done on this. It hasn't hurt our cat. If I had a cat who liked to groom the dogs, of course I wouldn't use it. ETA: I would say Advantix is safe for greys since it was given to ours by OSU, since ours are blood donors for OSU.

Edited by Ohiogreymom