Hair Loss

Guest mom2maddiebug

Guest mom2maddiebug

Question for you more experienced grey owners. I was just over on the food board and read about food allergies and saw a picture of baldy sore Atticus with a food allergy and a pic now that he's all cleared up and his hair is all grown in. My boy has NO HAIR on his entire chest, belly and back legs. Please see picture below... sorry for the "tinkler" being in it. lol. Anyway... is it normal for him to be missing so much hair. Almost every grey I see out at the dog park and at M&G's and at the kennel all have hair but my boy is a baldy. :( I want to make sure he's ok. Vet has never said anything about his missing hair and his Thyroid levels are within the normal range. I feel bad for him. I guess I just want to know if he's normal. He does have some tummy issues that are being worked out but other than that he seems like a big happy boy.

0053.JPG

Guest MorganKonaAlex

How long has he been off the track? Some of mine have been pretty bald on the underside when coming off the track and then fill in after retirement. It can take a year or so.

Nora blew her track coat and started to grow in some nice hair in the first few months we had her. It lasted about a year, and then each shedding cycle, she'd be bald again just like Abe. One winter, she got fleas at the dog park, and developed flea-dermatitis. Well, that pretty much took care of any nice hair growth--even her throat went bald. We tried many many different supplements, and had little to no hair growth with them. Last fall, we tried "Hair of the Dog" by Doc's Blend, and within 3 months, her throat was grown back in. After about 4.5 her hiney started to get furry, and *now* there is a fine layer of hair growing in on her tummy and lower chest. When people pet her now, they comment on how soft she feels, and her coat is much shinier--it used to look kind of dry and rough, and she had lots of dandruff.

A woman from GPA-Wi recommended it. She's probably laughing when she sees all my posts about how amazing this stuff is! But really, I just never thought Nora would ever have a nice coat. Now I'm so happy that she does! It's a little expensive for shipping, but I think it's totally worth it. And Sara mentioned that they might be changing the packaging, so shipping might be less now. http://www.docsblend.com/

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Guest mom2maddiebug
Nora blew her track coat and started to grow in some nice hair in the first few months we had her. It lasted about a year, and then each shedding cycle, she'd be bald again just like Abe. One winter, she got fleas at the dog park, and developed flea-dermatitis. Well, that pretty much took care of any nice hair growth--even her throat went bald. We tried many many different supplements, and had little to no hair growth with them. Last fall, we tried "Hair of the Dog" by Doc's Blend, and within 3 months, her throat was grown back in. After about 4.5 her hiney started to get furry, and *now* there is a fine layer of hair growing in on her tummy and lower chest. When people pet her now, they comment on how soft she feels, and her coat is much shinier--it used to look kind of dry and rough, and she had lots of dandruff.

A woman from GPA-Wi recommended it. She's probably laughing when she sees all my posts about how amazing this stuff is! But really, I just never thought Nora would ever have a nice coat. Now I'm so happy that she does! It's a little expensive for shipping, but I think it's totally worth it. And Sara mentioned that they might be changing the packaging, so shipping might be less now. http://www.docsblend.com/

So this docs blend is a dog food? Abe has some serious tummy troubles and I just found him a food that he can tolerate so I hate to switch it. It's Nutro Natural Choice herring meal and potato for sensitive stomachs. It says it has omega 3 and 6 in it as well. His coat is really nice and shiny... only gets flaky when we go out and he may be a little stressed. I wonder if this will help hair growth. He's only on it a few days at full feeding. It's taken about 4 weeks to do the switch though.

Guest BlackandBrindle

IMG_0089-2.jpg

IMG_0052-4.jpg

Spud says bald is beautiful! :P

Seriously though, being bald on chest and thighs and even neck is pretty normal for a grey. We've had Spud for just over 2 years now, and he's just starting to grow some hair back.

Good diet, salmon oil, and time have been what's helped him. :)

He's been off the track for over 3 years.

As you know, I have 4 and my Teddy has a completely bald, neck, thighs and underbelly. For some, it's normal. My other 3 have thick lush hair.

here you can see his underbelly-no hair!

DSC_0099.jpg

And his neck doesn't have hair either!

DSC_0044.jpg

We've been using missing link from day one. They all have soft hair, just Teddy's is thinner than the rest. I don't think there is a product on the market for regrowth other than rogaine and it hasn't been approved for the pups! ;)

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'll have to dig to see if I have any good pictures ... but ... Joseph came home in Sept 06. He remained quite hairless in all those areas through his first winter here. He's actually grown some hair on his butt, tummy, and neck this winter but I suspect he'll be hairless again when the weather warms. robinw's Phoenix is another one who's pretty hairless.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KsFrets

Magnus lost a lot of hair off his butt, neck and belly the first three weeks after we got him. Then he got into a mud pit, and I gave him a bath and I swear any hair left in those thin areas washed right off!!! He was very nervous (SA) real bad at first, and was a bounce from a home where he didn't work out because of it. I think the nerves and his whole life changing several times in a short time, had a lot to do with it. He has become a different dog now, totally relaxed and happy, and with Maggie around, his SA is gone. We noticed about two weeks ago...he is getting peach fuzz every where again...and his neck is growing in real fast. We haven't done anything special...just let him settle into life.

Guest crazy4greys

Skylar lost her hair due to her thyroid.

It is just starting to grow back.

This is 8 months after I adopted her, Oct. 2004.

Winter2006040.jpg

1.5 years after I adopted her, Oct. 2005

December2006113.jpg

Last August (2007)

Greyhounds087.jpg

Today. She is also getting Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Greyhounds146.jpg

Edited by crazy4greys

• 6 months later...

My 5yo black bitch is the same as you've all described - although she had more hair when she arrived off the track 1.5 years ago than she has now. I was having a look on the site because she had started to shed round her neck again, and it was worrying me. Now I'm less bothered having seen all your photos.

She is very nervous and, although seems happy enough, will stress at outside noise etc. Her diet is good - loads of salmon and mackerel and tuna - and her coat is shiny. Her skin is dry and I've been using neem oil ointment to help this (Ekoneem). Only problem is, it smells a bit like peanut butter and she licks it off the places she can reach. Oh and she gets an occasional bath and will be getting one today (although she doesn't know it yet!).

Thanks for sharing - sounds like I should just continue to do what I'm already doing.

Judy

Guest RocketDog

both of mine are naked! I don't mind, and they don't seem to care either. They are healthy, what coat they do have is shiny and soft, and they have coats to cover their nudie-butts for the winter.

So this docs blend is a dog food? Abe has some serious tummy troubles and I just found him a food that he can tolerate so I hate to switch it. It's Nutro Natural Choice herring meal and potato for sensitive stomachs. It says it has omega 3 and 6 in it as well. His coat is really nice and shiny... only gets flaky when we go out and he may be a little stressed. I wonder if this will help hair growth. He's only on it a few days at full feeding. It's taken about 4 weeks to do the switch though.

Yep, I'm laughing all right! :lol:D I LOVE HOTD, and can't say enough about it! NHNora pretty much covered it, so I won't say anything more about the product, other than to answer the question above: it's not a food, but a supplement. You'll add it to the food you have him on. For a dog the size of a Greyhound, you'd give him about a tablespoon a day. You can safely double the dose if you desire.

Oh, one other thing, do not expect an overnight response to this product. Because it works from the inside out, it can take about 4-6 weeks to see results. But the beauty is, it contributes greatly to the overall health of the dog, so you'll see a more healthy dog overall. But it does help coat growth, I can certainly attest to that. I usually have Manero on a double dose when we are actively showing him, and trust me, if he's out of coat when we start doubling the dose, he's back in within a couple weeks!

But they have changed packaging. They still have the buckets that they started with, but to save shipping, they have also started using vacuum-sealed bags. In addition, you can email the manufacturers, and give them your zip code, so they can figure your shipping costs. Often, it saves money, vs. what's listed on the website.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.