Stephanie's Full Of Fruit

I spoke too soon yesterday afternoon when I said all the dried fruit Stephanie ate MUST be out of her system! :blush She was acting normally, so I gave her 1/2 cup of food around 10pm, which she promptly threw up (along with fruit) about 10 minutes later. Then at 4am she jumped off the bed, which woke me up just in time to catch her upchucking several more fruit pieces. Plus she was acting kind of "blah" this morning.

I HAD to go in to work (new job), but it was only an inservice today, so I could leave early. Left at 3, zoomed home, and Steph was her usual psycho self. But I took her to the vet anyway. I told the vet the whole story: he said it would work its way out and to just wait a while. I asked for an xray, and it turns out her ENTIRE stomach is still full of fruit. Other vets looked at the film, too; they all said they didn't see any obstruction or gas pockets or any sign of impending bloat, and that it was just a matter of it working its way out. He gave her a shot of reglan to start things moving, and said I should try giving her a small dinner later on tonight.

So please keep all your fingers & toes & paws & any other appendages crossed, that Stephanie starts getting rid of the rest of her fruit!

ps - of all the greys I've had, she's the first one who's a "bad" patient when it comes to getting xrays, shots, etc. She is FEISTY!

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Sending prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I hope she is feeling better and passed all the fruit. Bless her heart.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

How's your girl doing tonite Maryann?

Thanks for asking about her.

She's eating & not vomiting. No signs of distress, abdomen's not distended. Her bowels are moving & I keep doing poop-checks. So far it's pretty "normal" looking, although on the soft side. But no more whole fruit is coming out. I think (hope) she's actually digesting it! The big blast of diarrhea the first day must've been the prunes.

One strange thing, though: the vet gave her a shot of reglan, then said he was going to get some pills. When he gave me the bottle, it turns out he gave me metronidazole (flagyl), not metoclopramide (reglan) as I was expecting. When I asked him why, he said because she had had the diarrhea, and all the irritation. :blink: I didn't feel like arguing & Steph REALLY wanted to go home, so I just said OK. But I mean, really, OF COURSE she had diarrhea - she just ate 2-1/2 lbs of fruit! I think we know it's not an infection. Unless he was trying to prevent an infection, thinking that her "good" intestinal flora was washed out with all the diarrhea and she was going to get C. diff or something?? So anyway, I'm not giving it to her. (He's not my favorite vet at the practice, but in emergencies you take who you can get!).

But other than that, so far, so good. :goodluck

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Metronidazole has anti-inflammatory properties, too. That's why it's used so often for innard upsets. :)

Hope silly girl gets over it all soon!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my! I just saw this saga! We're going out the track today, so I"ll have to tell Stephanie's trainer, Melissa, about this latest escapade!

Metronidazole is used for all sorts of GI upset situations. It will make her feel better.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Metronidazole has anti-inflammatory properties, too. That's why it's used so often for innard upsets. :)

Hope silly girl gets over it all soon!

Oh my! I just saw this saga! We're going out the track today, so I"ll have to tell Stephanie's trainer, Melissa, about this latest escapade!

Metronidazole is used for all sorts of GI upset situations. It will make her feel better.

I guess maybe I'll give it to her. I'm always thinking in terms of human medicine when my pets get a script. One of my friends said recently, after her cat had been to the vet, "I should've become a vet: just give all the patients steriods & antibiotics, and you're all set!" I know that's an oversimplification, but it really seems that way sometimes! But then again, we didn't go to veterinary school.

Pam, Melissa must've had her hands full with Stephanie, 'cause she definitely has a mind of her own, and has LOTS of escapades! :lol They don't usually involve mass quantities of fruit, though, thank doG!