Missy Had Her Dental Today

Missy just came home from her dental..first one since we adopted her 4 years ago.

I recently started taking the dogs to the vets that do the rescue work for our group..the group is big and not very personal, so I feel a bit lost when I go there.

Anyway, estimate was for about $400..blood was done a little over a month ago and since it was normal, they didn't do it again.

They had to pull one tooth and said she has periodontal disease (i agree since her breath smelled like something died, even with daily (washcloth) brushing with wysong dentaltreat!

i was somewhat surprised when I picked her up and the bill was $617 :angry:

this is what they charged:

IV fluid therapy 125

medical waste disposal 3

dental cleaning 250

extraction (incisor) 25

Injection Pain med 55

Injection pain: additional 15

clavamox 28 for $89

metronidazole 28 for 55

I did not get to speak with a vet..only (I think) a technician for discharge.

when I asked what metronidazole was for she said for diarrhea?? when I questioned, she said they want her to have it. no other explanation.

Do these prices see high? I dont see why IV would cost $125 for one dog. Is metronidazole standard with perio or extraction?

I spoke with someone her who uses same vet..she said she gets discount for greyhound rescue and multiple dogs. I asked about it this morning..they said they dont do that.

My Ig needs a dental as well...but I am not sure about going back here....

at least she is happy to be home and the other dogs are glad she is back. :colgate

To me, it seems the price difference between the quote and final bill

was mainly due to the extraction.

When my vet quotes an estimate, he states extractions are not included,

since he usually won't know

if an extraction is required until he's sees what's going on in there.

I know that prices can vary area-to-area,

but here's a data point from Ohio for you :)

Total was ~$230 with no extractions or blood work,

since he just had a full panel at his annual visit

a week prior.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Clavamox Qty14 $37.20

Anesthesia IV injection service $21

Ketamine (100mg/ml .1ml) qty 15 @.5 = $7.50

Diazepam (5mg/ml .1ml) qty 15 @.5 = $7.50

Anesthesia gas induction service $45

Anesthesia/minute isoflurane 35min@$1.25 = $43.75

Dental Prophy-dog/routine scale $32

(and they also performed a lumpectomy at no charge while he was under)

Aaaaaand, since I had the records out, here is the bill for his previous dental from Apr. 06, as well :)

Examination $30

Pre-Anesthetic blood screen $21

Scale & Polish $65

Ampicillin Injection $20

Clavamox 375mg tabs $10

Anesthesia $90

total = $236

Cheers :)

IPB Image

I would ask them how YOU can get the 20% I was referring to. That seems like a normal bill for me.

No, they are NOT the most warm and fuzzy people but they know their hounds and they do right by the dogs.

I got "over" the fact that it's a straight business type of atmosphere (although, I am there SO OFTEN that they are starting to get warmer with me) and not a hand holding type of office.

Although, both Dr. Longo(female) and Dr. Friedman (owner) are both very very personable, warm and loving. They bend over backwards for all my dogs knowing how flipped out he can be, and really go the full distance to keep them calm even if it means seeing them in the wating room (to examine stitches visuallY) so that the stressed dog doesn;t have to be dragged in to the room.

I've found that they have warmed up over the time I have been there. Maybe you need to hit the 10K mark and you can become a favorite too! ;) (I am kidding!)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tricolorhounds

Wow... that seems high to me for only 1 extraction.

Savannah had her dental last wednesday... The basic cleaning starts at $225.00 and then additional for extractions. Savannah had 24 teeth removed, one tooth took 45 minutes. The total bill including, pain shot, pain meds and antibiotics was $909.00

For a Long Island vet, it's normal. Unfortunately. but it is.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project