Natsy,nasty Poop!

Guest S8VGreys417

Guest Javagirl
Maybe it's the pumpkin?

I'm no expert, that's just what I would do. When their stomachs are in really rough shape, I don't even bother with dog food. And when their stomachs are in really, really rough shape, I don't bother with carbs either, only meat & bone. Just my experience.

He doesn't really like the pumpkin, I guess he just eats it because I mix it in with everything else. I gave him the tupperware to lick when it was almost gone and he just ignored it. So that's an easy one to remove.

I'll see how he does today and then remove one ingredient at a time until we get down to just chicken and bones. I feel a lot better just having a plan and not feeling in the dark. So thanks! You guys all make my day.

Guest rosebudd

We never had solid poop around here until we went raw. Leo is my tummy guy and would have the big d like 5-6 times a day. not fun! with raw diet they are like little dog poops its great.

Edited by rosebudd

We never had solid poop around here until we went raw. Leo is my tummy guy and would have the big d like 5-6 times a day. not fun! with raw diet they are like little dog poops its great.

Same experience here. Except my greyhound needed several wormings with Panacur to really set him straight. He was wormed with 2 rounds of Panacur when I got him right off the track because he tested + for hookworm. But a year later, after switching to raw, he was still having intermittent problems with digestion. So I wormed him again with Panacur despite many, many clear fecals. It was really just a shot in the dark. I gave him 3 rounds, assuming whipworm, & it pretty much fixed him. Then I put him on yr round Interceptor to deal with any stray whips in the environment. So far, so good.

Guest Winterwish

For the most part same here Pam. Only if I gave a tablespoon a day for2 days,it helped. But a 3rd day of that,and it'd come back again just as it was in the beginning.

I tried different kibble over the years with very good success,but never Fromm's. I hope it works wellfor your new grey.

A lot of it,definitely,is the newness,nerves,the water even-- all until he adjusts.

Just a tip for poicking up loose poops:

Newspaper sheets can be quickly slid under him and on the ground as he squats to poody. Then put in a bag.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest spider9174

I have found going to a no grain/no wheat kibble and then increasing the amount of fiber in the diet has helped. I feed Timberwolf white fish. I add in rice and boiled beef/chicken (boil and rinse to reduce the fat). I will add in broccolli, grean beans, sweet potato to help increase the fiber.

Guest S8VGreys417

JUST AN UPDATE ON MAE~

So i took a suggestion on here about adding metamucil for fiber or sumthing like it, so i went to the store and got that powder fiber start made by metamucil and she started it last night, just a teaspoon per day mixed in with a meal, and i can already tell a huge difference in her poop! hopefully (fingers crossed!) this will be a great solution!

He doesn't really like the pumpkin, I guess he just eats it because I mix it in with everything else.

I know I'm in the minority, but pumpkin has never done a darn thing for any dog with loose stools here.

I tried pumpkin and while it helped firm up the loose poop - Zeeba decided it tasted good the 2nd time around and started eating poop!

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

JUST AN UPDATE ON MAE~

So i took a suggestion on here about adding metamucil for fiber or sumthing like it, so i went to the store and got that powder fiber start made by metamucil and she started it last night, just a teaspoon per day mixed in with a meal, and i can already tell a huge difference in her poop! hopefully (fingers crossed!) this will be a great solution!

Great news! An easy solution to a hard (or maybe soft) problem. I wish you continued success.

Guest rubysdad
JUST AN UPDATE ON MAE~

Great news! An easy solution to a hard (or maybe soft) problem. I wish you continued success.

When I was introduced to this forum, I was very concerned about how many of the greyhounds on the forum had diarrhea, so I was thrilled to be able to introduce you to metamucil. We give our dogs 1 tablespoon of metamucil every day, even when they are not having a problem. It keeps them regular. Please, please try it if you are having problems!

Guest Javagirl
JUST AN UPDATE ON MAE~

Thanks to everyone! We're doing better but it's too early to really say for sure. I did take MandM's advice and stop the pumpkin - Ladd didn't really like it either. It seemed to help. I'm happy that both Mae and Ladd got some big help from the other grey moms and dads out there. What would we do without you?

Kristyn and Ladd