Itchy Spot On Tushy

For a few weeks, Jake has had an itchy spot on the top of his back, right near his tail. He keeps digging at it, so he doesn't have any fur left on that spot. The skin in that spot looks fine, he does have a small red spot from digging at it. Does anybody have a clue what it might be? He goes in for a dental on Tuesday, is it worth talking to the vet about?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Wow, who would have thought my first post would be about anal glands! We experienced the same thing with our guy, once the glands were expressed, he was fine, stopped biting his butt within a day or two. This is our first dog, so boy was I shocked when the vet just reached right in there and bango....shot the wall a few feet behind her!! I can still smell it as if it were yesterday, and it has been several months!!

When I first adopted Wayne(please don't laugh at his name) he was doing the same thing. On the top by his tail. I thought it may be a hot spot and then wondered if the climate change was tough on him. I started giving him Benadryl and it stopped.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless