Bandage Tape

Guest memadeit

Guest memadeit

What is a good tape that will help keep bandages on paws but will not pull a lot of hair off of legs??? Corns have been removed on two differant feet, and stitches have been put in bottoms of feet where they were. Paws are wrapped with ace bandages, but tape is placed at the top to help keep the wraps to stay on. I put therapaws on so his feet will not hurt as bad when walking.

I secure Jake's gauze bandaging with vet wrap.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I use vetwrap over the gauze and then, at the top of the vetwrap, just one round of Elastikon (very sticky tan tape) so that only 1/2" of Elastikon is on the dog's skin (and the rest is on the vetwrap). It'll pull a little hair off but not too much.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you don't have any VetWrap handy, get a 12-pack of kid's socks, and put one of those on. Then use some 1/4" waterproof tape about 1" down from the top, wrapping it below the dewclaw (for the front leg, anyway) or therabouts. Then fold down the edge of the sock to cover the tape, and tape it again.

Not too tight- don't want to impede circulation. Change sock daily. The nice thing is that it breathes well.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest spider9174
What is a good tape that will help keep bandages on paws but will not pull a lot of hair off of legs??? Corns have been removed on two differant feet, and stitches have been put in bottoms of feet where they were. Paws are wrapped with ace bandages, but tape is placed at the top to help keep the wraps to stay on. I put therapaws on so his feet will not hurt as bad when walking.

you can use a nonstick guaze pad, wrap with surgical paper tape. then over the paper tap, use vet wrap/elasticon.

Guest memadeit

vet wrap is on, but its the tape that I am not crazy about. The vet wants me to change the bandage twice a day, and a good amount of hair came off from the leg. Enough for me to cringe and I draw pull tape off of patients all day long.

I don't use tape. I just make sure the vet wrap comes up above than ankle, that way it won't slip off. So far in a week he hasn't got one off. I'm changing Jake's daily (or more often whent he little dickens :D gets out without a foot covering)

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Willerton

I'd be careful with anything sticky. I had tape cause bleeding/oozing sores on my dog's leg when he had a cast for a long time with a broken leg. At first it pulled off just a little hair, but after retaping over the same area...yikes. I'm a big fan of the "vet wrap above a joint" method. I used long tube socks and vet wrapped twice (once near the top, once closer to the bottom). Just make sure it's not too tight.

Guest Winterwish
vet wrap is on, but its the tape that I am not crazy about. The vet wants me to change the bandage twice a day, and a good amount of hair came off from the leg. Enough for me to cringe and I draw pull tape off of patients all day long.

oh that must be awful!

My vet uses a tape that does NOT stick tothe hair at all,and it is tape. I'll find out the name of it in the morning.

What I've done when I don't have any is,tape over the wrap,that's all. Just not too tight.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest RICHandJUDE

I have two greyhounds and a Dachusand. The Dachusand is a 'special needs' dog. Some kids had dragged it up and down the street behind a bicycle and did a lot of nerve damage to the two front legs and paws. They sometimes callous and bleed a bit.

The legs buckle under when she walks so we have to wrap both legs 3 or 4 times per day. We use gauze then put Vet Wrap around that. On the top of the vet tape or wrap, I put a small strip of CLOTH TAPE to hold it. Then I usually put a baby's sock over that.

(I was buying vet wrap or tape at the drug store and was paying almost $4 per role. I found it at Tractor Supply. It is double wide at Tractor Supply so I cut it in half----length-wise I get the same as two roles and only pay $1.99.) We go through a lot of vet wrap and cloth tape.

As a side note. We have braces for the front legs. She is starting to get some feeling in the left leg.

I'll second (or third?) the elastikon. I've used other medical/vet tapes and always end up pulling out hair. However, the referral hospital said they used elastikon tape when they had Blitz's abdomen wrapped up after his exploratory surgery, and I just used it again on Blitz's leg. It was in place for a little over 24 hours, and I don't think I pulled out any hair and he's just got a sticky ring of fur around his leg left. He let me pull it off without any fuss, and if it's one thing I've learned about him, it's that his pain tolerance stinks. I would not have been able to take off any kind of medical tape with that little fuss.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).