Broken Hocks

Guest G2G_Greys

Guest HornGreys

We have a group of volunteers that are trying to help with the broken hock greys at Tucson Greyhound Park. We want to put together a "what to do" packet that we can send with all the broken hock greys that we place. The greys will be in foster care while they recover from their broken hock and once they have been cleared by our vet they will be up for adoption.

What we need is help with information that we can give to our adopters about what they can do to continue with the "healin" process and living with a broken hock grey. I know that most people put them on Glucosamine and Choridroitin, but where do you get it from and how much daily.

Anyother information will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

I can give information about how to live with one AFTER the healing. Mine is 13 1/2. The only time she shows any discomfort is when she has to stand on that leg, which isn't a lot. She races around the yard with the youngsters, she jumps over baby gates, up into top crates & over the arm of the couch...she has not let it slow her down. In fact, I don't know many that do slow down because of a broken hock. She had 3 surgeries to mend the torn ligaments/muscles/tendons in there along with the bad break.

Because she stands on 3 legs most of the time, I didn't do a lot of meet/greets with her...but there are a lot out there that stand on all 4s.

Greyt work ya'll are doing!

Edited by Snowy8

To help build up strength in the hock, you can do a series of flexes and extensions, 10-15 reps twice a day.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Greyhound Gang gives a free Get Up & Go Glucosamine HCL sample to anyone that adopts a broken hocked hound, at the time of that adoption. Joint supplements are KEY to their recovery. They replenish the synovial fluids, and help cartilage to repair. Anyone adopting a broken hocked hound, needs to put their hound on joint supplements.

You can get these supplements in many places. Get Up & Go has details about supplements. There's a Q&A, Price comparisons, Dosages and more.

We also provide medical info about broken hocks. As does Greyt Health.

You might want to contact Kari Swanson of Midwest Greyhounds - she's one of the experts out there about taking care of broken hocked hounds. She takes in a lot of them, and may have something she's written up.

These dogs go on to live a good, long, healthy life, if groups can afford to take them in and give them that chance. Otherwise, they don't get a chance at life.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest HornGreys

Thanks for all the great information. We have adopted out broken hocks before. We now have been in contact with all the kennels as TGP and told them that we will take your broken hock greys...don't put them down. Sadly this had to start happing because of the tragic loss of a little 2 year old female Pa's Mismakamess on August 31st, 2007 due to a broken hock.

You can go to our website and see our Missy's Miracles dogs. Just go to the link in my signature and then click on the right for Missy's Miracles

Thanks again

Do you have a copy of Care of the Racing & Retired Greyhound? I think there's info on injury rehab in it.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest ishapespace

Our Dax is a broken hock boy. Never had any surgery as far as we know. He has a knot on his leg where it broke. He does fine most of the time. He is extra aware of that leg and will limp a tad if he plays too hard and too much. He will be 3 in May and it has been 3/4 of a year since the break. We didn't know about giving him anything, but we will now!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

One suggestion I have is keep them active. Not necessarily letting them run loose like nuts, but walks and keeping the broken leg limber and continue to keep that muscle buildup in the leg.

So often it seems that people restrict the activity level so low that it's even more of a job for that hound to work back into the swing of things.

On your most common hock break (central tarsal) it's a wrap and set type of thing for about 4-6 weeks, then you decrease the support of the leg with less wrap, after around 8 weeks they are wrap free.

Keeping them mobile is a good thing :)

But then again I'm sure the vets will have a whole laundry list of do's and don'ts :)

Guest GreytMuse

Ten months ago, Atticus's central tarsal bone was broken in two places, and was diagnosed as a grade IV fracture. It was stabilized with a 4.0 and 2.0 screw. He has now recovered completely and we were told that his leg would not hinder his quality of life as a companion pet. :) (Actually a quote from his adoption page!)

We give Atticus supplements and exercise daily. When he's off-leash in a field and runs full-out for more than a few minutes, we can usually see him start to pull up on that leg. At that point, we slow him down, leash him and go home. Other than that, I haven't seen the leg bother him at all. As he ages, that may change, but we're doing our best to make sure he has every chance for a pain-free aging.

Guest HornGreys

Thanks for all of the information that everyone has sent. All the rehab will be done in our foster homes that know how to deal with the healing process of a broken hock.

What we want to do is get a pamphlet ready to send to the people that are adopting them so that they know what it means to own a broken hock greyhound.

Thanks again....keep it coming!! :)

Also, no I don't have a copy of "Care...Racing Greyhound" - does anyone know what they say for broken hocks?

Edited by HornGreys

You might ask Dr. Suzanne Stack, over in Yuma, if there's any prepared wisdom she can impart. I also seem to recall an email list for problems specific to greyhounds; if a query is placed on the list, the collective wisdom can be composed and prepared for publication (web or hard copy).

I'll offer up my own skills as an editor and writer to compile any such information. I can put it on the web, or I can prepare a document. I just need to have the right bits to, er, write!

Offhand, does anyone have the most recent edition of "Care...Racing Greyhound" and, if so, what does that fine text have to say?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

You might ask Dr. Suzanne Stack, over in Yuma, if there's any prepared wisdom she can impart. I also seem to recall an email list for problems specific to greyhounds; if a query is placed on the list, the collective wisdom can be composed and prepared for publication (web or hard copy).

I'll offer up my own skills as an editor and writer to compile any such information. I can put it on the web, or I can prepare a document. I just need to have the right bits to, er, write!

Offhand, does anyone have the most recent edition of "Care...Racing Greyhound" and, if so, what does that fine text have to say?

Brocken Hock

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

To follow up on what Heather said, what do broken hock foster homes do besides rest (& all attendant vet care)? Does anyone take them for something like swim or other physical therapy? I know there's (usually) a time delay between when the break happens & when they get to a foster home, but I always wondered if physical therapy would help some of these guys with their gimpiness. (I know group finances come into play as well.)

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Also, no I don't have a copy of "Care...Racing Greyhound" - does anyone know what they say for broken hocks?

There are several pages on it, depending on the type of break. Your group would do well to have a copy - especially now that it's back in print! The AGC sells it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MorganKonaAlex
To follow up on what Heather said, what do broken hock foster homes do besides rest (& all attendant vet care)? Does anyone take them for something like swim or other physical therapy? I know there's (usually) a time delay between when the break happens & when they get to a foster home, but I always wondered if physical therapy would help some of these guys with their gimpiness. (I know group finances come into play as well.)

I got my foster a few weeks after the surgery. I wasn't told any special instructions. Shortly after getting him, I took him in for another xray and a smaller cast. A few weeks after that the cast came off. I was told to restrict his activity at first and gradually increase it. The ortho. said some use of it would help the healing process. In my foster's case, it healed beautifully. Of course, we also adopted him. :P

Don't let them gallop for two months!

Keep them alert by keeping them where they can socialize. If needed use an 3 foot high xpen to keep them from running around too much. An xpen which separates at the hinges is easier than one with a little door.

If you can get them into a warm pool or tank once a day for ten minutes it will help them stay limber. Give them some support if they don't float well. If immersion is not possible run a warm water hose on the leg for 3 minutes 3 or 4 times a day.

Keep it wraped for 4 to 6 weeks. A spoon splint might provide some support. Get a vet to teach you how to splint and wrap it.

Edited by plepkowski

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

As Heather said, it is important to not restrict the activity too much. While the leg is non or minimally weight bearing, massage and taking the leg and hip GENTLY through the range of motion helps to keep the muscles from shortening and drawing up. Be sure to do the paw as much as the dog will tolerate; because once those muscles shorten, they are difficult to work back out. If you are not comfortable with this and your vet doesn't show you how, it can be well worth a visit or two with a physical therapist. After weight bearing is ok, walk the dog at a pace which will force them to use the leg. Be careful not to overdo and to build up gradually. If you don't make the dog start using the leg, many will continue to carry the leg up or favor it simply because it is easier. Should they be allowed to do this, there is a risk of muscle atrophy and shortening that is irreparable. One of the results can be something that looks like a club foot. Also, from carrying the hips and back in an awkward position, over time, back problems can develop.

When I got my gimpy gal, she was 8. Her hock was probably broken when she was 4. It was the injury which ended her racing and her last race was when she was four. It appears the hock wasn't set and she was never rehabilitated. Most of the time, she doesn't seem to be bothered by her leg, and she leads a very normal life. After so many years, it is very difficult to undo the muscle issues; although, we've been able to help her. She uses her leg more (good for the muscles). The biggest thing is to keep further drawing up of her foot. When she runs and plays, though, you'd never know her leg was not normal. Of course she needs and gets extra massages afterwards.

For a dog with recent injuries, many of these issues can be avoided and a recovery closer to normal attained by including physical therapy (at home) and rehabilitation. Glucosamine and Chrondroitin seem to help, especially as the pup ages. NutraJoint from WalMart is a good product, readily available and reasonably priced.

Edited by Sassy

Ok... Now I have pictures of what I'm talking about in the previous post. The first photo shows her paws and legs. Compare the two and you will see how the muscles have shortened drawing the leg and foot up with them. The paw is actually curling in like a fist - permanently. In the leg, the bone healed displaced; so, not only are the muscles shorter, but the leg is malformed too - due to improper care early on.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/SassyGrey/paw3.jpg

In the other photo, she is shown at a full run. When she runs and plays, you'd never know her leg is abnormal. It is with absolute joy that she runs at the head of the pack.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/S...Grey/TiRun2.jpg

My reason for all of this is, not only to give hints for helping healing, but to also emphasis the importance of proper care - early. The broken hocked dogs deserve every chance and are just as wonderful pets as uninjured dogs. By no means would I discourage anyone from rescuing or adopting a post injury dog.

For those who wonder: I got my girl as a senior and years after her injury. At her age, and considering that the leg doesn't seem to bother or hinder her, it wouldn't be kind to put her through the repair surgery and recovery, which would be painful, lengthy, and may not work.

Guest tricolorhounds

I have 2 that have had broken hocks.

Bonkers was rescued from Caliente by GAC in March of 2005... his injury only required splinting and has not caused him any problems.

Savannah was rescued from Caliente by GAC in February of 2005... according to the volunteers who picked her up, as they were getting ready to leave with three other dogs, her trainer came running out with her and asked if they had room for one more... the track Vet had just ordered her put down... She was hopping on 3 legs and was wagging her tail. They never hesitated. Her injury was quite severe and required several surgeries, 5 months worth of casts and 5 months worth of antibiotics to combat a staph infection in the bones. Savannah is an absolute JOY... She is the one who daily instigates the races in the yard. The only time she seems to have problems are towards the end of Greyhound Gathering weekends after walking miles and miles.

I do not give either of my kids supplements as I have not seen any evidence that they are effective. I did give fresh factors and joint health to my older LabMix for about 2 years but I saw no difference. My Vet has not recommended any supplements either.

GAC takes in a couple of dogs a week with broken hocks... have you contacted them to see how they are handled?

I think what Sassy wrote is what I would give to foster homes & adoptors. PT & rehab is so important for humans, it's gotta be just as important for pup injuries as well. We already know broken hock dogs make wonderful pets, but putting some extra effort into keeping that leg as healthy & sound as possible early on will benefit both the dog & the adoptor for years to come. Thanks Sassy!

Slow and steady wins the race. Once the splint's off, encourage the dog to use the leg. Use rewards to teach the command, "Touch". Most dogs start using the leg within a day or two, but some take a little while. If there are pressure sores, keep it clean, rinse it with tepid water (the hose in warm climates) at least once per day. Stick to leash-walking for several weeks. Wait at least a month or so to allow any free-running.

My latest foster came out of splints Thanksgiving weekend. As of 2 weeks ago, she is worked up to 3 miles of leash-walking and will fetch a tennis ball until *I* get tired of it.

Supplementing with Glucosamine might help and won't hurt.

Lynn