Torn Paws All 4? What Can I Do

I feel so bad my husband had his gas powdered car out yesterday that he races (big baby boy) praticing. I let the dogs out not knowing he was out there with that darn car, we never let them out when he is praticing or whatever you call it... :angry: Anyways the dogs started chasing it and and my grass is in horrible state right now due to the winter and the ground is hard.

Bo slid and cut all 4 of his pads, I have been putting socks on it so he can go out, but is there any thing else I can do to speed the healing process and should I go to the vet do they have something to speed the process? This is breaking my heart seeing him walk like a cripple, we have to carry him if we go out on concrete and he is 90 pounds and very hard for me to carry. :weep:weep Any Suggestions.......

Ohhhh and last night I ordered the Ther a Paw, I hope they come in fast!!!!!!

Edited by 4greyhounds

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Just keep 'em clean (rinse a few times a day with diluted nolvasan solution or just plain water) and covered when he goes out or if he wants to pick at them. Usually they heal pretty quickly but yes, there will be misery for a few days. :( Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks so much, it breaks my heart to see him like that and you just want to speed the healing process up. Thanks! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest PhillyPups

When Runner burnt all his paws (fresh from kennel on the walk to the pet area of my complex) I got giant aloe plants, peeled the skin back and applied tis to his feet. I keep at least one leaf in my freezer, and the frozen really eased the pain. That and socks for going outside.

One of my neighbor kids asked why he had socks on, I told the 4 or 5 year old cause Runner was too young to go barefoot.

Hope he heals soon.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

poor guy, the boots will help and if you can get him to lay down long enough for it to dry you can put EMT gel on his pads and that will put a protective barrier on his pads and make them much less painful. I always keep some EMT gel on hand in my first aid kit for coursing incase someone tears a pad. It has definitley helped. If you dont have any you can order it at the gem store

www.gemgreyhounds.org They also have great boots that are fleece with a rubber bottom the ankle parts are more felxable and comfortable that traditional therapaws in my opinion.

Oh poor baby. Sending the most gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BradyzMommy

When Penny injured all 4 of her pads, we were told to just keep them clean and that they would heal quickly. We cleaned them every night and made sure to put baby socks on her feet until her booties arrived. She healed fast and her feet are as good as new.

Thanks so much! These are all great suggestions. I am going to stop at Walmart on my way home from work and get some baby booties until the ther a paw ones come in! Also I am going to go on the site and order some EMT. I just can't stand to see him walking like that it is heart breaking.

darlenesiggy2.jpg

You could try some Zims Crack Cream. I use it on Clark's feet when they crack from the cold. Walmart and Target carry it also several pharmacies. I use the spray but they also have it in cream and liquid. Works great, my husband also uses it on his hands.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

You could try some Zims Crack Cream. I use it on Clark's feet when they crack from the cold. Walmart and Target carry it also several pharmacies. I use the spray but they also have it in cream and liquid. Works great, my husband also uses it on his hands.

I just saw this and I have to order the EMT, so I think I am off to Targets! Thanks! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg

Guest Kpparker

Have you tried soaking them in Epsom salt? That helped Tavi when he had a cut pad - also the vet suggested rubbing vaseline on it, but dont know if this would be right in your situation.. poor guy, that is just awful to deal with.

Guest Ohiogreymom

If there's a Tractor Supply near you, they carry EMT gel, so you don't have to wait for an order to arrive. :P ETA: Or any equestrian (horse) supply store should have it.

Edited by Ohiogreymom

Guest KennelMom

Torn or burned pads I just keep clean and dry. At night or when I know they wont' be up walking around, I apply a bit of bag balm and rub it in real good. Takes 5-10 minutes to soak in. That seems to help in healing, but not by a whole lot. Time is your friend. Also, don't let them start running around which they will try to do once they are almost healed and not as painful. I leash walk ours until their pads are 100%.

If there's a Tractor Supply near you, they carry EMT gel, so you don't have to wait for an order to arrive. :P ETA: Or any equestrian (horse) supply store should have it.

Yes, there is a tractor Supply near me, never been in there, thanks so much for the suggestion.

I will stop there at lunch, thanks so much! The pads were tore the skin was hanging off. :(

darlenesiggy2.jpg