It's The Big D....

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

I guess I knew that giving Dempsey anything he was willing to eat at this point would eventually lead to this... and it struck last night around 2am. It's been so long since Dempsey has had diarrhea that I don't even remember what to do anymore. Any suggestions that don't involve him not eating anything for awhile? His weight is already so low, this is rotten timing. I'm assuming switch him to just boilded chicken and rice and some canned pumpkin? Is there anything else that is okay in case he stops being willing to eat chicken and rice?

Pepto Bismol, child's dose 2-3 times per day.

If you think the problem is more what he's been eating or meds that he takes rather than illness, try either half a metamucil wafer twice a day *or* 2-3 tablespoons pureed cooked peas instead of the pumpkin.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jupiterooos

I have given Immodium in a child's dose very successfully, so that's an option as well.

I wonder...is sweet potato an acceptable substitute for pumpkin? I try to stock up on it when it's available here, but I tend to run out. And one thing we always have around here is sweet potato.

Guest HeatherDemps

At lunchtime today, things were a bit more solid, so that is good. All he has had today is canned G/D because it is one of the only bland things that he is willing to eat at the moment. He wouldn't touch the canned pumpkin earlier today....

Guest HeatherDemps

Thanks for all the ideas. Dempsey's digestive system seems to have sorted itself out now (knock on wood!). I will keep these ideas for the next time it happens. For right now, he has two kinds of canned food that he is willing to eat- G/D and usually 1/2 a can of Senior Medley by Merck. In addition to that, he's getting chicken and rice or chicken and noodles. Although DH did sneak him another plain doublecheeseburger from McDonald's last night...

I am so glad things are better today! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.