Grumbling And Gurgling

Hallie

Our foster, Pat C Cobble, who we are now calling Angus, is doing very well. When he drinks water his stomach gurgles something fierce!! Yesterday he even threw up after drinking. :sick

Anyone ever experience something like this? I'm trying to blame a lot of this on the stress of all of the new stuff he's dealing with, but it's very odd.

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

My Polli often suffers from gastritis. When she has this, she will go without eating or drinking until her tummy settles. She gets a pepcid every day, but there are days like last evening where she did not eat a thing, would not drink and her poor little tummy sounded like the 4thof July. We could hear it across the room. We give it 48 hours and then bring her to the vet.

If your boy is eating and drinking, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Have you tried pepcid?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My Polli often suffers from gastritis. When she has this, she will go without eating or drinking until her tummy settles. She gets a pepcid every day, but there are days like last evening where she did not eat a thing, would not drink and her poor little tummy sounded like the 4thof July. We could hear it across the room. We give it 48 hours and then bring her to the vet.

If your boy is eating and drinking, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Have you tried pepcid?

I might try the pepcid. He is finicky - at first I thought maybe his teeth were hurting since his breath is awful, he chews funny and he rubs his mouth with his paws. He doesn't eat more than 1/2 - 1 cup at a time so I just leave some in his bowl. I have noticed his tummy gurgling after eating, but much more so after drinking. He ate a bit yesterday, then had water and up it all came after the stomach symphony. How much pepcid do you give. He's about 75 lbs.

Nancy

One pepcid. They only need one a day. They are "pink" in color. I would have him checked out FIRST, he may have something going on. THe pepcid will only mask the symtoms. I give pepcid because the vet told me to. If you think his teeth are bothering him, they may be.

Please have him checked first.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

In the meantime, you might also try soaking his kibble in water for about 20 minutes before feeding. If his teeth are bothering him, the softened food will be easier for him, and he'll also drink less water straight from the bowl. FYI, I have had plenty of fosters who would throw up water after drinking or who were a little too obsessed with the water bowl and that generally does go away with time, but it sounds like there might be something else going on here.

How old is he? Have you taken a look in his mouth?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've tried soaking his kibble in water, yogurt and chicken broth, but he turns his nose up - I've thrown out more than he's eaten. When he eats, it's one piece of ProPlan at at time. He does go at the water bowl like a fiend, not a couple of gulps at a time, he'll gulp for a minute straight - then the gurgling begins. I've been taking him away from the bowl after a few laps, then letting him back 15 minutes later, etc.

I spoke with the adoption group this morning - they really are very attentive and concerned about his well-being. His teeth are terrible in my opinion. The gums are red and the tartar has almost completely overtaken some of his teeth. The group was under the impression that he had a dental when he was neutered, but sometimes they don't do a good enough job. I'm going to give it another day or so and let them know.

He'll be 5 in August, so he's been on the track for awhile.

Nancy